1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximize the area of a triangle

1. Jul 18, 2015 #1
    http://imgur.com/Q5gjaSG

Consider the semicircle with radius 1, the diameter is AB. Let C be a point on the semicircle and D the projection of C onto AB. Maximize the area of the triangle BDC.

What I'm thinking
    y=sqrt(r^2-x^2) From the formula of a circle x^2+y^2=r^2
    A=1/2(x+1)y The area of a triangle
    A'=(1-x-2x^2)/2sqrt(1-x^2) Substitution from the formula of a circle and take the derivative
    A'=0 if x=1/2 Set the derivative = to 0 to maximize it
    y=sqrt(3)/2 Solve for y
    A=1/2((1/2)+1)sqrt(3)/2= 3sqrt(3)/8 Plug in all the pieces into the original equation of the area of a triangle.

A=Area A'=Derivative of area
    x+1 = base of the triangle
    y=The height

These are still new to me let me know how far off I am. I think I have the equation wrong.

(sorry posted this in wrong area first)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The above is very difficult to read or make sense of. What are x and y?
    Is r2 supposed to mean r2? If so, you should at least write r^2 to indicate that 2 is an exponent.
    Homework problems should be posted in the Homework & Coursework section, using the homework template.

4. Jul 18, 2015 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The working may be OK (depending on what you mean by the various symbols), but is spoiled by a careless presentation.

First: what is 'x', and what is its range? (Don't make the reader guess---just tell him/her what you mean).
    Second: when you write r2 and x2, do you mean ##r^2## and ##x^2##? If so, write them as r^2 and x^2 in plain text (which is what you would also need to do for numerous software packages if you were using a computer to calculate things).
    Third: use parentheses around leading fractions like your '1/2'; in other words, write (1/2)(x+1) y ---- or better, use (1/2)*(x+1)*y in plain text. Parentheses help to avoid confusion between 1/2ab (which can be interpreted as ##\frac{1}{2ab}## and (1/2) ab (which, unambiguously, means ##\frac{1}{2} ab##).
    Finally----and maybe most importantly--- break up your sequence of equations into separate lines, or at least, make it clear what goes with what. The way you wrote it looks like
    [tex] y = \sqrt{r2-x2}A=1/2(x+1)y A' = (1x - 2x2)/2 \sqrt{1-x2} A'=0 [/tex]
    instead of the intended (I hope) meaning
    [tex] y = \sqrt{r^2 - x^2} = \sqrt{1-x^2} \;(\text{since} \: r = 1).[/tex]
    The area is
    [tex]
    A = (1/2)(x+1) A, \;\text{so that the derivative is} \; A' = (x - 2 x^2)/(2 \sqrt{1-x^2}).[/tex]
    The maximal area occurs when ##A' = 0##, or ##x = 1/2##, giving maximal area ##A = 3 \sqrt{3}/8##.

You don't need to use LaTeX (as I have done), but you do need to put in occasional clarifying words/sentences so that others can follow what you are trying to do. Even the simple strategy of putting different things on different lines will help, so you could write
    y=sqrt(r2-x2)
    A=1/2(x+1)y
    A'=(1-x-2x2)/2sqrt(1-x2)
    A'=0 if x=1/2, y=sqrt(3)/2, A=1/2((1/2)+1)sqrt(3)/2= 3sqrt(3)/8.

That could get you higher marks, too.

5. Jul 18, 2015 #4
    I fixed it not sure what the template is but I gave the question and my attempt, What else should I conclude?

^ thank you you broke down what I was trying to say. I'm not aware of latex I will use it in the future I"m on a phone so not sure I can use it though. The x was just the extra distance to get the base of the triangle on top of the radius. That is the part I think I'm messing up with also.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  6. Jul 18, 2015 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

BTW: You don't need quite so many parentheses, so you don't need to say sqrt(r^(2)-x^(2)); just plain sqrt(r^2 - x^2) will do, because the parsing rules for mathematical expressions will take care of the "precedence". You still need to develop the habit of defining your terms: saying what are x, y and A for example. (In the case of x, it is particularly important, because two different people doing this problem might well use two different definitions of x!)

7. Jul 18, 2015 #6
    Thanks for the feedback I think I tried to define everything a little better in the original post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted