Maximizing Beam Design: Balancing Bending and Shear Forces

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations for bending and shear stresses in designing a cantilever beam. The participants also discuss the importance of considering both bending and shear stresses in certain situations and how this can affect design decisions. The conversation highlights the use of approximations and the potential for errors when assuming pure bending in real-life applications.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

This is not a homework problem but a general situation where I'd like to know which is better to do.

Say for example I have a cantilever beam of length L and some moment of inertia I, first moment of area Q and thickness t with a force P applied at the free end.

Homework Equations

σ = My/I ...(1)

τ = VQ/It...(2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So at the fixed end the maximum bending moment is PL and the reaction force is P.

Normally to get the bending stress to see if it less than the allowable stress I'd normally just use equation 1 and check if it is less than the allowable bending stress.

However due to the shearing force P at the fixed end, should I also now use

τxy=PQ/It

then combine to get the maximum shear stress:

[tex]\tau_{max} = \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{\sigma_{bend}^2 +4 \tau_{xy}^2}[/tex]

or does the reaction force count as something else? I ask because normally I was taught to just assume pure bending but in a real life application the presence of the reaction force would mean an assumption of pure bending will be violated I believe. (The assumption that plane sections remain plane before and after bending).

Physics news on Phys.org
When you solve a problem using "Strength of Materials" approximations, you are not getting the exact solution that the Theory of Elasticity would give you. However, it is still an excellent approximation. For beam bending, Strength of Materials assumes pure bending locally along the beam. So estimating the state of stress as purely tensile at the outside of the bend is pretty accurate.

Then when designing using hand calculations it is best to just assume pure bending then and ignore the shear force based on the maximum bending moment?

I doubt in practicality I would ever find a stress function to get the stresses.

rock.freak667 said:
Then when designing using hand calculations it is best to just assume pure bending then and ignore the shear force based on the maximum bending moment?

Yes. Just design the thing with a reasonable factor of safety.

Chestermiller said:
Yes. Just design the thing with a reasonable factor of safety.

Nice. Thanks man!

In the case of the cantilever, the max bending stress occurs at the extreme fibres, whereas the maximum shear stress is at the neutral axis, So, the question now becomes: what are the situations where bending and shear stresses should be combined? I expect there are many answers to this, but certainly an example arises in plastic design where the whole of the section is subject to (uniform) yield stress from bending, but the yield stress in the area of maximum shear is reduced by the presence of shear stress, Similarly for the presence of co-existent axial stress, but in that case, the combination is for normal stresses not both bending and shear. In soil mechanics there are procedures using Mohr's circle for combined shear and normal stresses to determine their overall effect.

Ah I completely forgot to consider the axis for the shear stresses. The only time I've ever had to consider bending and shear is if you had a beam subjected to both torsion and bending in which I'd use the equation for Tmax above (which is the radius of the Mohr's Circle).

Though since it is best to design using maximum shear stress theory I should in fact not really consider bending stress and consider shear stress as in equation 2?

The assumption that plane sections remain plane before and after bending is valid when there is no shear force present. When it is present, how important that is depends on the ratio of bending modulus to shear modulus. In most common construction materials, the error involved in ignoring this assumption (that sections remain plain...) is outweighed by other considerations and would not make a significant difference to any design decision based on it. I can see situations arising with new materials such as carbon fibre composites combined with the need for optimal very light design, as in aircraft design, where you might need more than one mathematical model to explore the solutions and the range of their errors.

1. What is beam bending?

Beam bending is the phenomenon where a beam undergoes deformation when subjected to external loads, causing it to change shape and bend.

2. What causes beam bending?

Beam bending is caused by external forces, such as applied loads or moments, acting on the beam. These forces create internal stresses within the beam, resulting in deformation and bending.

3. What is shear force in beam bending?

Shear force in beam bending refers to the force that acts parallel to the cross-section of a beam. It is caused by the external loads acting on the beam, and it can cause the beam to shear or tear apart.

4. How do you calculate the shear force and bending moment in a beam?

The shear force and bending moment in a beam can be calculated using equations derived from the equations of equilibrium. The shear force can be found by taking the derivative of the bending moment equation with respect to the position of the beam, while the bending moment can be determined by integrating the shear force equation.

5. How does beam material affect beam bending and shear forces?

The material properties of a beam, such as its elasticity and strength, can greatly affect its behavior under bending and shear forces. A stiffer and stronger material will be able to withstand higher loads and resist deformation, while a more flexible material will experience greater deformation and bending under the same loads.