Maximizing Comfort While Working in Bed

• Thread starter Avatrin
  • Start date
In summary: It would be better if you could find a way to put the laptop on the desk and use the tablet or laptop as a supplementary surface.
Avatrin
Hi

I recently moved to a small apartment and no longer have a desk or table where I can do, for instance, homework. So, if I want to work, I have to do that in bed. I can usually find a comfortable way to use the laptop, or even read. However, whenever I have to write, I can never keep going for more than a minute.

Any recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is your apartment a closet? If you don't have room for a desk you probably need to manage your space better...

Isn't there a Salvation Army near you where you can buy a table or some makeshift desk ? Or, maybe a Murphy bed, which you fold when you are not using it?
Or get yourself an astronaut pen -- but you may have to return it at some point :

dipole said:
Is your apartment a closet? If you don't have room for a desk you probably need to manage your space better...

There are a few places I can place a desk. However, they will block something; Either the closet or the book cabinet. Also, there is the television that I haven't used for years since I do not have time for gaming. Selling it will probably clear up space for a desk.

Enigman said:

Yes, I should try one as soon as I find a website that ships lap desks to Norway.

I use a clipboard in bed.

Likes Avatrin
Avatrin said:
There are a few places I can place a desk. However, they will block something; Either the closet or the book cabinet.
You won't be able to do this if you're not a bit of a handyman, but I once maximized the space usage of a very small room by building a loft bed and putting my desk and bookcase underneath. The bed was a small, twin size. I used a futon mattress.

The desk was actually a full sized old oak desk, and I made shallow book cases to fit three sides. They sat on the edges of the desk and went as high as the bottom of the bed frame. Access to the bed was via an ingeniously designed folding ladder that could be pushed up onto the bed when not in use. Such a folding ladder is not necessary, but the idea I had for it was too cool not to build.

Of course I was afraid of falling out of bed, not that I've ever done that in my life, but I didn't want my first time to be when I was sleeping 6 feet above the floor, so I put a railing on the bed. The railing had an opening to receive the ladder, and the opening was too small to fall out of.

If you're not handy with wood and tools, that won't help you, but you might, at least, consider getting a book case that will fit up on top of a small desk. Alternately, you might consider trying to convince your landlord to build the loft bed platform and leave it as a permanent installation in the room. It would make the room more desirable to future tenants.

Likes Avatrin and Enigman
http://www.google.com/search?q=lap+desk+instructable (try "images")

or.. from http://www.bobvila.com/slideshow/10-playful-examples-of-swinging-and-swaying-furniture-47600
b539ba93de8fd2a4448b753a00a68813.jpg

I use one of these when writing in bed or in the livingroom sofa: http://www.ikea.com/se/sv/catalog/products/70278240/#/90278244

It is "adjustable" in the sense that you can change tha angle by making the filling go to one side. It is a cheap option and I suspect you have IKEA in Norway too. ;)

Orodruin said:
I use one of these when writing in bed or in the livingroom sofa: http://www.ikea.com/se/sv/catalog/products/70278240/#/90278244

It is "adjustable" in the sense that you can change tha angle by making the filling go to one side. It is a cheap option and I suspect you have IKEA in Norway too. ;)

The nearest IKEA is within walking distance from where I live. However, the laptop is not the problem. I can sit quite comfortably and use the laptop. It is writing on paper that is the problem. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Avatrin said:
The nearest IKEA is within walking distance from where I live. However, the laptop is not the problem. I can sit quite comfortably and use the laptop. It is writing on paper that is the problem. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

I use it for that too (it is a hard flat surface after all), but I can imagine it is not ideal for everyone.

1. How can I make my bed more comfortable for working?

To maximize comfort while working in bed, start by investing in a supportive mattress and pillows that provide proper neck and back support. Consider using a bed desk or adjustable laptop stand to elevate your work surface and prevent strain on your neck and shoulders. It's also important to maintain good posture and take frequent breaks to stretch and move around.

2. Is it bad for my health to work in bed?

Working in bed can be detrimental to your health if not done properly. It can lead to poor posture, eye strain, and a sedentary lifestyle. However, with the right setup and breaks to move and stretch, it can be a comfortable and productive option.

3. What type of lighting is best for working in bed?

Lighting is important for both productivity and eye health while working in bed. Natural light is ideal, so try to position your bed near a window. If that's not possible, opt for a desk lamp with adjustable brightness to prevent glare and eye strain.

4. How can I stay focused while working in bed?

Working in bed can be comfortable but also distracting. To stay focused, try to designate a specific space on your bed for work and avoid using it for leisure activities. Set a schedule and stick to it, and minimize distractions such as your phone or TV.

5. What are some ergonomic tips for working in bed?

Ergonomics is important for preventing strain and injuries while working in bed. Make sure your work surface is at a comfortable height, and use a supportive chair or pillows to maintain good posture. Take breaks to stretch and move around, and try to avoid hunching over your work for extended periods of time.