Maximizing Range for projectile motion

In summary, the speaker is taking an online intro to physics course and was required to watch lecture videos. They are struggling with differentiating a function to maximize range and are looking for a refresher. The conversation then delves into manipulating equations to solve for range and concludes that it is easier to solve algebraically rather than using calculus.
jhong213
I am taking an online intro to physics course and was required to watch lecture videos.

My prof tells me to maximize my range by differentiating the function. My calculus is a bit rusty could someone refreshen my memory of how to do this? I believe i am solving for α.

(dΔx/ dα) = 0 , (-tanα)Δx = ViSinα(Δx / ViCosα) - 1/2g(Δx/ViCosα)^2

Physics news on Phys.org
For a mass launched at θ° above the horizontal at an initial speed V, it is easy for you to show that the range R is given by R = VxV /g x sin2θ.

From this you can see intuitively what the angle θ must be for maximum range.

Yes, some manipulation of your (-tanα)Δx = ViSinα(Δx / ViCosα) - 1/2g(Δx/ViCosα)^2 leads to 1 = -1+ g*Δx/(Vi2*2*Sina*Cosa). I'm not sure what your expression was trying to mean, but if we solve for Δx, and note that 2*Sina*Cosa = Sin(2a), you get daqddyo1's expression for the range, except that it is multiplied by 2. Whichever one is right, it certainly seems that rather than using calculus, it is easier to just solve for Δx algebraically, using trig identities to see where it is maximized. You certainly don't want to take derivatives with respect to a before you have at least divided through the whole expression by tana.

1. What factors affect the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and the height of the launch point. The higher the initial velocity and launch angle, the greater the range. Air resistance can decrease the range, and launching from a higher height can increase the range.

2. How can I maximize the range of a projectile?

To maximize the range of a projectile, you can adjust the initial velocity and launch angle to their optimal values. Additionally, minimizing air resistance, for example by using a streamlined shape for the projectile, can also increase the range.

3. Is there a mathematical equation for calculating the maximum range of a projectile?

Yes, the maximum range of a projectile can be calculated using the equation R = (V2 sin(2Θ))/g, where R is the range, V is the initial velocity, Θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect the range of a projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can decrease the range of a projectile by slowing it down as it travels through the air. This is due to the force of air resistance acting in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion.

5. Can the range of a projectile be greater than the initial velocity?

No, the range of a projectile cannot be greater than the initial velocity. However, by launching the projectile at a higher angle, you can achieve a greater horizontal displacement, which may make it seem like the range is greater than the initial velocity.