Maximizing Sum of Weights w/ N Entities & M Constraints

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving N entities, each with N values - a weight and similarity coefficients. The goal is to maximize a function by finding the optimal combination of integers from 1 to N of size M. The conversation mentions an example with N=4 and M=3 and discusses the difficulty of finding the maximum sum for larger values of N and M. The speaker is seeking suggestions for an algorithm to solve this problem.
kmrstats
Hi. I have a problem I am hoping you all can shed some light on.

I have N entities, O, each described by N values - a weight W and N-1 similarity coefficients to the other N-1 entities. I guess we can represent Oi as (Wi, Sij, j=(1,2,...,N, i!=j)(?).

Given an integer M and M < N I need to maximize the following function:
Sumi(Wi/Sumj(Sij, j=(1,2,...,N), i!=j))
where i and j in the sums are constrained to the unique combinations of the integers 1 to N of size M.
As an example let N=4, M=3 there are then 4 unique combinations of the numbers 1,2,3,4 of size 3: (1,2,3), (1,2,4), (1,3,4) and (2,3,4). The values for the function are therefore:
W1/(S1,2+S1,3)+W2/(S2,1+S2,3)+W3/(S3,1+S3,2)
W1/(S1,2+S1,4)+W2/(S2,1+S2,4)+W4/(S4,1+S4,2)
W1/(S1,3+S1,4)+W3/(S3,1+S3,4)+W4/(S4,1+S4,3)
W2/(S2,3+S2,4)+W3/(S3,2+S3,4)+W4/(S4,2+S4,3).

For small N and M I can enumerate the combinations and calculate the maximum sum but my problem has N~50 and M~5.

Any suggestions or thoughts of an akgorithm to calulate the max? I hope I have made it clear.

Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You should consider to write a small program.

Related to Maximizing Sum of Weights w/ N Entities & M Constraints

1. What is the meaning of "Maximizing Sum of Weights w/ N Entities & M Constraints"?

The term "Maximizing Sum of Weights w/ N Entities & M Constraints" refers to a mathematical optimization problem where the goal is to find the largest possible sum of weights assigned to a set of N entities while satisfying a set of M constraints.

2. How is this problem typically represented?

This problem is typically represented as a linear programming problem, where the objective function is to maximize the sum of weights and the constraints are represented as linear equations or inequalities.

3. What are the main applications of this problem?

This problem has various applications in fields such as operations research, economics, and computer science. It can be used for resource allocation, scheduling, portfolio optimization, and many other decision-making processes.

4. What are some common techniques used to solve this problem?

Some common techniques used to solve this problem include the Simplex method, the Interior Point method, and the Branch and Bound method. These methods use a combination of mathematical and computational approaches to find the optimal solution.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges to consider when solving this problem?

One limitation of this problem is that it assumes a linear relationship between the weights and constraints, which may not always accurately represent real-world situations. Additionally, as the number of entities and constraints increases, the complexity of solving the problem also increases, making it challenging to find an optimal solution in a reasonable amount of time.