Maximizing x-component of force

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of b that maximizes the x-component of the force between two charges, Q and q, placed at distances a and b respectively. To do this, the first derivative of the force equation is set to zero and solved for b. However, there were some errors in the derivative and it was pointed out that the denominator can be discarded when setting the derivative equal to zero. It was also suggested to use dimensions to check the derivative and to leave numbers as variables until the end to simplify the problem. The conversation concludes with the acknowledgement that the problem may have been made more complex than necessary.
Physics2341313
A charge Q is placed at a distance a = 3m and a charge q is placed at a distance b

For what value(s) of b is the x-component of the force maximized?

I know to maximize the force we need to maximize [itex] F_Qq = k Qq b/(3^2 + b^2)^{3/2}[/itex].

To do this we need to set the first derivative to zero and solve for b. Can someone walk me through this derivative? Having trouble with this and I can't seem to get it. The b in the numerator and 3/2 power came from taking the unit vector.

kQq are just constants so we just need to take the derivative of [itex]b/(9 + b^2)^{3/2}[/itex] no?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the picture of the figure, where a = 3m in this specific case. I guess I should have also stated that the b in the numerator and the 3/2 power came from the cosine to be more correct in terminology?

Attachments

• P045figure.png
    P045figure.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 355
x component of the force on which charge?
what are the signs of the charges? both +? both -? one each?

x-component on q, and the charge on each is positive.

Physics2341313 said:
x-component on q, and the charge on each is positive.
So if Q is restricted to the y axis, why wouldn't the answer be simply y=0?
The question would make more sense if it asked for the value of b to give the maximum y component on q.

I don't understand? Q is restricted on the y-axis at a height of a = 3m the charge q is arbitrary at a location b. The first part of the problem is to find the value b at which the x-component of the force between the two charges is at it's miniumum which would be at b = 0. To find it's maximum the problem at hand now the derivative is involved for its maximum value? Which is what I was having trouble with. I am not seeing how the y-axis comes into the problem since Q is fixed at that location and the location of q on the x-axis is variant.

NM, I read the problem backwards.
Your post 1 is OK. Why not finish the problem?
the y-axis comes into the problem since the x force on q is dependent on the value of a. But a is constant so proceed with d/db (Fx) = 0 etc.

Couldn't solve the derivative for b. I think I messed the derivative up I was getting high powers of b that couldn't be solved.

Sample of what I tried to solve...

[itex] d/db [b/(9+b^2)^{3/2}] \Rightarrow [3b(9 + b^2)^{1/2} - (9 + b^2)^{3/2}]/(9 + b^2)^3[/itex]

After that it turned into a mess trying to solve for b

Ahh, nevermind I solved it. I forgot that I could discard the denominator when setting equal to zero. Made the problem more complex than need be,

Physics2341313 said:
Couldn't solve the derivative for b. I think I messed the derivative up I was getting high powers of b that couldn't be solved.

Sample of what I tried to solve...

[itex] d/db [b/(9+b^2)^{3/2}] \Rightarrow [3b(9 + b^2)^{1/2} - (9 + b^2)^{3/2}]/(9 + b^2)^3[/itex]

After that it turned into a mess trying to solve for b
First thing is you throw out the denominator (why can you do that?)
secod thing is you have the sign of the numerator wrong d(uv) = (v du - u dv)/v2.
third thing is you didn't do the derivative right. One way to check is again using dimensions. Ignoring the denominator, your 1st term on the right has dimension L2 while the second has L3 where L = length.
If you divide the numerator by a certain quantity the solution becomes very easy.
finally a small point: don't write "9", leave as a2 until the end. Too many numbers mess up the math and make checking harder.
gotta go to bed (where are you located? in Hawaii or U.K.? :smile:

Physics2341313 said:
Ahh, nevermind I solved it. I forgot that I could discard the denominator when setting equal to zero. Made the problem more complex than need be,
OK. Good! Should still look at my post #11 for one or two points.

What is the definition of the x-component of force?

The x-component of force is the force that acts in the x-direction, or horizontally, on an object. It is one of the three components of a force vector, along with the y- and z-components.

Why is it important to maximize the x-component of force?

Maximizing the x-component of force can result in a stronger force acting on an object in the desired direction, leading to greater acceleration and movement. This can be crucial in many applications, such as lifting heavy objects or propelling a vehicle.

How can the x-component of force be increased?

The x-component of force can be increased by applying a stronger force in the x-direction, changing the angle of the force vector to be more horizontal, or reducing any opposing forces acting in the opposite direction.

What factors can limit the maximum x-component of force?

Factors that can limit the maximum x-component of force include the strength and direction of the applied force, the weight and angle of the object being moved, and any friction or resistance present in the environment.

What are some real-world examples of maximizing the x-component of force?

Examples of maximizing the x-component of force include using a lever to lift a heavy object, pushing a car to get it moving, and utilizing the inclined plane of a ramp to move objects up a height. It is also important in sports such as weightlifting and rowing, where the goal is to achieve maximum force in a specific direction.