Find Max/Min of |f(z)| at z=2: Maximum Modulus Theorem & Minimum Modulus Theorem

In summary: And since the second derivative is positive (this is positive by squaring the value we get from the original), then this is a relative minimum.So, in summary, the function f(z)=(z-1)(z-4)^2 has a relative minimum at z=2 on the line z=2. This is determined by finding the derivative of |f(z)| and setting it equal to zero, giving the solution x=0. Therefore, there are no lines through z=2 on which |f(z)| has a relative maximum, and z=2 on the line z=2 contains a relative minimum.
wany

Homework Statement

Suppose that [tex]f(z)=(z-1)(z-4)^2.[/tex] Find the lines through z=2 on which |f(z)| has a relative maximu, and those on which |f(z)| has a relative minimum, at z=2.

Homework Equations

Maximum Modulus Theorem And Minimum Modulus Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that f(z) is not differentiable at z=1. So I could take the domains (-5,1) and (5,1). Since we know that the maximum and minimum must be located on the boundary of the domain.
However, I am not sure how to do this or if this is right.

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be completely confused here. f certainly is differentiable at z= 1. For any z, the derivative is f'(z)= (z- 4)^2+ 2(z- 1)(z- 4) which is 25 at z= -1.

Further, I have no idea what you could mean by "lines through z=2 on which |f(z)| has a relative maximum". When z= 2, |f(2)|= f(2)= 4, a constant.

Well that was the word for word problem from the book, and the book also said that |f| is not differentiable at z=1 and has a saddle point at z=2.

Yes, |f(z)| is NOT differentiable at z= 1 but that is not what you said. You said that f(z) was not differentiable at z= 1 and it is. Also, perhaps not stated in the problem but said elsewhere, I feel sure, is that this is a problem in complex variables. "The line z= 2" is the line where z= 2+ ix for any real number x. Then [itex]f(z)= (z- 1)(z- 4)^2[/itex][itex]= (2- ix-1)(2- ix- 4)^2[/itex][itex]= (1- ix)(-2- ix)^2[/itex]. Write out |f(z)| as a function of x, find the derivative, set it equal to 0. etc.

Alright, sorry my bad I didn't explain correctly. First of all, yes this is a complex problem. So we are assuming that [tex]z \in Z[/tex]. And yes you are correct it is differentiable at f(z) at z=1, again I forgot to put the modulus signs around it.
Alright now that everything is cleared up, so the line z=2+ix.
Plugging this into [tex]|f(z)|=|(2+ix-1)(2+ix-4)^2=|(1+ix)(-x^2-4ix+4)|=|-x^2-4ix+4-ix^3+4x^2+4ix|=|-ix^3+3x^2+4|=\sqrt{(3x^2+4)^2+(x^3)^2}=[/tex]
Then this reduces to
[tex]\sqrt{9x^4+24x^2+16+x^6}=\sqrt{(x^4+8x^2+16)(x^2+1)}=\sqrt{(x^2+4)^2(x^2+1)}=(x^2+4)\sqrt{x^2+1}.[/tex]
Then the derivative of this would be:
[tex]2x\sqrt{x^2+1}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}[x^3+4x].[/tex]

Then setting this equal to zero and solving we get:
[tex]2x\sqrt{x^2+1}=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+1}}[x^3+4x],[/tex] giving [tex]2x^3+2x=-x^3-4x, x(3x^2+6)=0[/tex]
Thus our solutions are x=0 and x=square root of (-1/2) but this is a complex number and x is a real number so this cannot happen.

Thus our solution is x=0.
Looking at the derivative again, and then taking this value for x=0 we get |f''(z)|=2 which is positive. Thus the line x=0 is a minimum.
Thus the line z=2 contains a relative minimum.

Is this correct. And therefore there are no relative maximum?

Last edited:
You will probably find it simpler to use the fact that [itex]\sqrt{f(x)}[/itex] has a minimum where f(x) itself does: specifically, the derivative of [itex](f(x))^{1/2}[/itex] is [itex](1/2)f(x)f'(x)[/itex] which is equal to 0 only where f(x)= 0 or f'(x)= 0. In other words, you really only need to look at the derivative of
[tex]x^+ 9x^4- 24x^2+16[/tex]
which turns out to be relatively simple.

Did you mean [tex]x^6+9x^4+24x^2+16?[/tex]
So taking the derivative and setting this equal to zero then solving for it we get that x=0.
So the line is z=2+i(0)=2.

Last edited:

1. What is the Maximum Modulus Theorem?

The Maximum Modulus Theorem states that if a complex-valued function is analytic in a region and has a local maximum at a point within that region, then the function is constant at that point.

2. What is the Minimum Modulus Theorem?

The Minimum Modulus Theorem states that if a complex-valued function is analytic in a region and has a local minimum at a point within that region, then the function is constant at that point.

3. What is the significance of finding the maximum/minimum modulus of a function at a specific point?

Finding the maximum/minimum modulus of a function at a specific point can give us information about the behavior of the function in that region. It can also help us identify the location of critical points, which can be useful in optimization problems.

4. How do we find the maximum/minimum modulus of a function at a given point?

To find the maximum/minimum modulus of a function at a given point, we first need to determine if the function is analytic in that region. If it is, we can use the Maximum Modulus Theorem or Minimum Modulus Theorem to show that the function is constant at that point. We can also use techniques such as differentiation and setting the derivative equal to zero to find critical points and then evaluate the function at those points to determine the maximum/minimum modulus.

5. Can we apply the Maximum Modulus Theorem and Minimum Modulus Theorem to any complex-valued function?

Yes, we can apply the Maximum Modulus Theorem and Minimum Modulus Theorem to any complex-valued function that is analytic in a given region. However, if the function is not analytic, these theorems may not hold and other techniques may need to be used to find the maximum/minimum modulus.