1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum charge differential equation

1. Dec 10, 2011 #1
    Hi, I am having a small problem with this equation

Charge Q=t^3+5t^2+10t+130

What is the maxiumum charge?
    If I differentiate with repect to time, at t=6, for example then I have value of current flowing at that time.
    What is the maximum charge then? I dont understand the question. Do I need to differentaite it again? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2011 #2
    At maximum Q, dQ/dt = 0.

But, so long as there is no mistake in the equation given, there is no value of t for which dQ/dt = 0.

4. Dec 10, 2011 #3
    The equation has some value changed by me, but if dQ/dt=0 then the current is 0. Is that right?. About the equation, if I differentiate Q, then I can have two roots t. If I substitute them in the Q equation I have two real, different values. Is that right? Do I choose the higher value obtained?

5. Dec 10, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A quadratic equation can have 2, 1, or no real roots. Read what grzz said again. Are there limits on the values of t?

6. Dec 10, 2011 #5
    No, there are no limits.I know that quadratic equation can have 2,1, or no ral roots. But in this case it has two different real ones.

7. Dec 10, 2011 #6

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Each term on the right hand side increases with time, and these are all summed. So Q continuously increases with time. It will reach a maximum only at the end of time.
    I think it's worth taking another look at the question. Something might be amiss.

8. Dec 10, 2011 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It asks for maximum charge, so just differentiate once. Yes, it so happens that when dQ/dt = 0 , in addition to having maximum (or minimum) charge, the current is also zero, because current = dQ/dt .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook