Maximum charge differential equation

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with an equation for charge and finding its maximum value. The equation is Q=t^3+5t^2+10t+130 and the question is about finding the maximum charge at a given time or differentiating the equation to get the current at a specific time. The expert also mentions that the equation may have two real roots and the maximum charge will occur at the end of time.
greg997
Hi, I am having a small problem with this equation

Charge Q=t^3+5t^2+10t+130

What is the maxiumum charge?
If I differentiate with repect to time, at t=6, for example then I have value of current flowing at that time.
What is the maximum charge then? I don't understand the question. Do I need to differentaite it again? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
At maximum Q, dQ/dt = 0.

But, so long as there is no mistake in the equation given, there is no value of t for which dQ/dt = 0.

The equation has some value changed by me, but if dQ/dt=0 then the current is 0. Is that right?. About the equation, if I differentiate Q, then I can have two roots t. If I substitute them in the Q equation I have two real, different values. Is that right? Do I choose the higher value obtained?

A quadratic equation can have 2, 1, or no real roots. Read what grzz said again. Are there limits on the values of t?

No, there are no limits.I know that quadratic equation can have 2,1, or no ral roots. But in this case it has two different real ones.

greg997 said:

What is the maxiumum charge?
Each term on the right hand side increases with time, and these are all summed. So Q continuously increases with time. It will reach a maximum only at the end of time.
I don't understand the question.
I think it's worth taking another look at the question. Something might be amiss.

greg997 said:
Hi, I am having a small problem with this equation

What is the maximum charge?
If I differentiate with respect to time, at t=6, for example then I have value of current flowing at that time.
What is the maximum charge then? I don't understand the question. Do I need to differentiate it again? Thanks
It asks for maximum charge, so just differentiate once. Yes, it so happens that when dQ/dt = 0 , in addition to having maximum (or minimum) charge, the current is also zero, because current = dQ/dt .

1. What is a maximum charge differential equation?

A maximum charge differential equation is a mathematical model that describes the change in electric charge over time in a system, where the charge reaches its maximum value at a certain point and then decreases. It is often used in physics and engineering to analyze the behavior of electrical systems.

2. How is a maximum charge differential equation different from a standard differential equation?

A maximum charge differential equation is different from a standard differential equation because it includes a maximum value or limit for the dependent variable, in this case, the charge. This maximum value is often determined by the physical properties of the system being studied.

3. What are the applications of maximum charge differential equations?

Maximum charge differential equations have various applications in physics and engineering, including in the study of electrical circuits, capacitors, and batteries. They can also be used to model the charging and discharging of batteries, as well as in the design of electrical systems and devices.

4. How are maximum charge differential equations solved?

Maximum charge differential equations can be solved using various methods, including analytical and numerical techniques. Analytical solutions involve finding an exact mathematical expression for the charge as a function of time, while numerical solutions use algorithms and computer programs to approximate the solution.

5. What factors affect the maximum charge in a system?

The maximum charge in a system is affected by various factors, such as the capacitance of the system, the voltage applied, and the resistance of the circuit. Other factors that can impact the maximum charge include the material properties of the conductors and the presence of any external sources of charge or energy.