Maximum Likelihood Estimator

In summary: Why would you care about reducing ##(n_1+1) (n_2+1) \cdots (n_m+1)##? It has no effect whatsoever on the optimal value of p. In other words, the p that maximizes f(p) is the same p that maximizes 1000*f(p) or (1/100)*f(p) or any K*f(p) for constant...
ianrice

Homework Statement

1. An experiment consists of giving a sequences of patients a risky treatment until two have died, and then recording N, the number who survived. If p is the proportion killed by the treatment, then the distribution of N is:
P(N=n)=(n+1)(1-p)n p2

1)Find a general formula for the MLE for p:
2)the experiment is done in 8 hospitals and the observed values of N are 3,0,4,2,3,5,1,3. Compute the estimate for the p derived in part 1

Homework Equations

2. I know I have to start by finding a general form of ∏(ni+1)(1-p)ni p2 with ni where i goes from 1 to m.

The Attempt at a Solution

3. So I get hung up on how to handle the (ni+1) term.

Physics news on Phys.org
ianrice said:

Homework Statement

1. An experiment consists of giving a sequences of patients a risky treatment until two have died, and then recording N, the number who survived. If p is the proportion killed by the treatment, then the distribution of N is:
P(N=n)=(n+1)(1-p)n p2

1)Find a general formula for the MLE for p:
2)the experiment is done in 8 hospitals and the observed values of N are 3,0,4,2,3,5,1,3. Compute the estimate for the p derived in part 1

Homework Equations

2. I know I have to start by finding a general form of ∏(ni+1)(1-p)ni p2 with ni where i goes from 1 to m.

What is preventing you from computing P(N1=3,N2=0,N3=4,...,N8=3)?

Ray Vickson said:
What is preventing you from computing P(N1=3,N2=0,N3=4,...,N8=3)?

The question asks for the general form of the MLE of p. then to compute P(N1,N2...N8). I need help with the general form

ianrice said:

Homework Equations

There's a typo in your post. Witness that hanging .

I suspect you meant ##\Pi_{i=1}^m (n_i+1)(1-p)^{n_i} p^2##

This isn't that hard. Let's start with m=1, i.e., one observation. Then that product is simply ##(n_1+1)(1-p)^{n_1}p^2##. With m=2, the product becomes ##(n_1+1)(1-p)^{n_1}p^2\,(n_2+1)(1-p)^{n_2}p^2##. Try collecting terms. You should get something of the form ##A (1-p)^B p^C##, where A, B, and C are related to the observed values. Now generalize to m observations.

Where does this reach a maximum?

ianrice said:
The question asks for the general form of the MLE of p. then to compute P(N1,N2...N8). I need help with the general form

Start with simple cases, by writing the formula for the likelihood function of P(n1,n2) and maybe P(n1,n2,n3). This will show you the pattern that applies as well to larger problems.

D H said:
There's a typo in your post. Witness that hanging .

I suspect you meant ##\Pi_{i=1}^m (n_i+1)(1-p)^{n_i} p^2##
This isn't that hard. Let's start with m=1, i.e., one observation. Then that product is simply ##(n_1+1)(1-p)^{n_1}p^2##. With m=2, the product becomes ##(n_1+1)(1-p)^{n_1}p^2\,(n_2+1)(1-p)^{n_2}p^2##. Try collecting terms. You should get something of the form ##A (1-p)^B p^C##, where A, B, and C are related to the observed values. Now generalize to m observations.

Where does this reach a maximum?

So I've collected terms for m=3 and get the following:

(n1+1)(n2+1)(n3+1)(1-p)n1(1-p)n2(1-p)n3p2p2p2

So by using your A(1-p)BpC:

I think B=∑ni
C=2n
A is where I'm still stuck. Am I missing something completely I can't seem to figure out how to reduced (n1+1)(n2+1)(n3+1)

And to find the maximum I need to set the derivative to 0 and find p the parameter the question ask for.

What are ##(1-p)^{n_1}(1-p)^{n_2}(1-p)^{n_3}## and ##p^2p^2p^2##? Surely you can reduce these to a simpler form!

D H said:
What are ##(1-p)^{n_1}(1-p)^{n_2}(1-p)^{n_3}## and ##p^2p^2p^2##? Surely you can reduce these to a simpler form!

I got those:

##(1-p)^{n_1}(1-p)^{n_2}(1-p)^{n_3}## = (1-p)∑ni

##p^2p^2p^2## = p2n

ianrice said:
So I've collected terms for m=3 and get the following:

(n1+1)(n2+1)(n3+1)(1-p)n1(1-p)n2(1-p)n3p2p2p2

So by using your A(1-p)BpC:

I think B=∑ni
C=2n
A is where I'm still stuck. Am I missing something completely I can't seem to figure out how to reduced (n1+1)(n2+1)(n3+1)

And to find the maximum I need to set the derivative to 0 and find p the parameter the question ask for.

Why would you care about reducing ##(n_1+1) (n_2+1) \cdots (n_m+1)##? It has no effect whatsoever on the optimal value of p. In other words, the p that maximizes f(p) is the same p that maximizes 1000*f(p) or (1/100)*f(p) or any K*f(p) for constant K.

Ray Vickson said:
Why would you care about reducing ##(n_1+1) (n_2+1) \cdots (n_m+1)##? It has no effect whatsoever on the optimal value of p. In other words, the p that maximizes f(p) is the same p that maximizes 1000*f(p) or (1/100)*f(p) or any K*f(p) for constant K.

Ok right I understand. I was confused.

So am I correct with the following next steps:

L(p)= ∏(ni+1)(1-p)∑nip2n

Then in the next take is to find l(p) which is l(p)=Ln(L(p))

So I end up with:

l(p)= Ln(∏(ni+1))+∑niLn(1-p)+2n*Ln(p)

Then taking the derivative of dl(p)/dp and setting that to zer
dl(p)/dp= 0+ [itex]\frac{∑n}{1-p}[/itex] +[itex]\frac{2n}{p}[/itex]

ianrice said:
Ok right I understand. I was confused.

So am I correct with the following next steps:

L(p)= ∏(ni+1)(1-p)∑nip2n

Then in the next take is to find l(p) which is l(p)=Ln(L(p))

So I end up with:

l(p)= Ln(∏(ni+1))+∑niLn(1-p)+2n*Ln(p)

Then taking the derivative of dl(p)/dp and setting that to zer
dl(p)/dp= 0+ [itex]\frac{∑n}{1-p}[/itex] +[itex]\frac{2n}{p}[/itex]

Almost OK, but ##d \ln(1-p) /dp = -1/(1-p)##, not ##+1/(1-p)##. The thing you wrote could never = 0 for any p between 0 and 1.

What is a Maximum Likelihood Estimator (MLE)?

A Maximum Likelihood Estimator (MLE) is a statistical method used to estimate the parameters of a probability distribution by maximizing the likelihood function. This function measures the probability of obtaining a specific set of data given a particular set of parameters.

How is the Maximum Likelihood Estimator (MLE) calculated?

The MLE is calculated by finding the values of the parameters that make the observed data most likely to occur. This is achieved by taking the derivative of the likelihood function and setting it equal to zero, then solving for the parameters.

What are the assumptions of the Maximum Likelihood Estimator (MLE)?

The MLE assumes that the data are independent and identically distributed, meaning that each data point is not influenced by any other data point and that the data follow the same probability distribution. It also assumes that the data are continuous and that the parameters being estimated are not constrained.

What are the advantages of using Maximum Likelihood Estimator (MLE)?

The MLE is a widely used and well-established method for estimating parameters, making it easy to implement. It also has desirable statistical properties, such as being unbiased and having low variance, when the assumptions are met.

What are the limitations of Maximum Likelihood Estimator (MLE)?

The MLE can produce biased estimates if the assumptions are not met, such as when the data are not normally distributed or when there are outliers. It also requires a large sample size to produce accurate estimates. Additionally, the MLE does not provide any information about the uncertainty of the estimates.