Maximum power in this resistor circuit

In summary, the resistance is coming to be negative. This is because the input impedance is 3||6 Ohm, which is 2 Ohm, so the load must also be 2 Ohm. The answer can be trimmed to the nearest physical value, which is 0.
Physics lover
Homework Statement
The question is in Attempt at a solution
Relevant Equations
V=IR
P=V^2/R
P=I^2×R
20190912_085611.png

My attempt-:
20190912_085938.jpg

So the resistance is coming to be negative.Can anyone tell me my mistake.Thanks.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Physics lover said:
Homework Statement: The question is in Attempt at a solution
Homework Equations: V=IR
P=V^2/R
P=I^2×R

View attachment 249522

My attempt-:
View attachment 249523

So the resistance is coming to be negative.Can anyone tell me my mistake.Thanks.
Formally your answer is correct. Input source impedance is (3||6 Ohm)=2 Ohm, therefore from matching theorem your load must be also 2 Ohm for maximal transferred power. You just need to trim negative resistance answer to closest physical value (i.e. 0).

Likes 256bits and Delta2
Physics lover said:
Your error is in assuming all minima are local minima, i.e. where a gradient is zero.
Sometimes the global minimum occurs at one end of the valid range. In general, you should check the extremities of the range even if you do find a local minimum.

Likes DEvens and Delta2
haruspex said:
Your error is in assuming all minima are local minima, i.e. where a gradient is zero.
Sometimes the global minimum occurs at one end of the valid range. In general, you should check the extremities of the range even if you do find a local minimum.
Can you please explain me how can i do that here means how can i find the range of R.

Physics lover said:
Can you please explain me how can i do that here means how can i find the range of R.
As @trurle posted, it cannot be negative.

Physics lover said:
The range of R should either be given by the problem(for example in this problem it could have been given that the variable resistor is in the range for example ##[4,404]##) or can be logically inferred like for example in this problem the range of R is logically inferred to be ##[0,+\infty)##. So you look for maximum or minimum at the end points and how to prove that the value at the end point is a maximum (or minimum).

haruspex said:
As @trurle posted, it cannot be negative.

You worked out the derivative. You looked for zeros. Good. Now check the value of the function and the derivative at the end points.

Suppose the derivative is positive at R=0. Can the maximum be at R=0? Suppose the derivative is negative at R=0. How about 0 as a maximum then?

You should also think about a maximum R. Though I don't see one listed in your problem statement. Variable resistors have a maximum value. You should check what is happening for large R.

ok thanks to everyone.I understood it

1. What is maximum power in a resistor circuit?

Maximum power in a resistor circuit refers to the highest amount of power that can be delivered to a load by the circuit. This is when the circuit is operating at its maximum efficiency.

2. How is maximum power calculated in a resistor circuit?

Maximum power in a resistor circuit is calculated by finding the product of the square of the voltage across the resistor and the inverse of the resistance. This can be represented by the equation: Pmax = VR2/R.

3. What factors affect the maximum power in a resistor circuit?

The maximum power in a resistor circuit is affected by the voltage, current, and resistance in the circuit. It is also influenced by the type of material the resistor is made of and its temperature.

4. Why is it important to understand maximum power in a resistor circuit?

Understanding maximum power in a resistor circuit is important because it allows us to determine the maximum load that can be connected to the circuit without causing damage. It also helps in designing efficient circuits for specific applications.

5. How can maximum power be increased in a resistor circuit?

The maximum power in a resistor circuit can be increased by increasing the voltage or decreasing the resistance. However, it is important to note that exceeding the maximum power limit can cause the resistor to overheat and potentially fail.