What is the maximum value of f(z) for any complex number z?

In summary, the maximum value of f(x,y) refers to the highest possible output of the function at a given x and y value. To find the maximum value, one can use methods such as taking partial derivatives and solving for x and y values that make the derivatives 0, or using graphical methods. F(x,y) can have multiple maximum values, each corresponding to a different set of x and y values. The maximum value is related to the minimum value, as they represent the highest and lowest points of the function. The maximum value can also be negative, depending on the function's y-intercept or graph trend.
juantheron
If \(\displaystyle z\) is any complex number, Then Maximum value of \(\displaystyle f(z) = \left|z-i\right|+\left|z-3-4i\right|-\left|z\right|-\left|z-1\right|\).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
jacks said:
If \(\displaystyle z\) is any complex number, Then Maximum value of \(\displaystyle f(z) = \left|z-i\right|+\left|z-3-4i\right|-\left|z\right|-\left|z-1\right|\).

My solution:

If we let $z=x+yi$, we see that

$|z-i|=|x+yi-i|=\sqrt{x^2+(y-1)^2}$

$|z-3-4i|=|x+yi-3-4i|=\sqrt{(x-3)^2+(y-4)^2}$

$|z|=|x+yi|=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}$

$|z-1|=|x+yi-1|=\sqrt{(x-1)^2+y^2}$View attachment 3312

Diagram above shows that we have two triangles, one with the sides lengths of $1,\,|z|,\,|z-i|$ and the other with lengths of $2\sqrt{5},\,|z-1|,\,|z-3-4i|$.

Applying the triangle inequality on both triangles gives

$1+|z|\ge \sqrt|z-i|$ or $1\ge \sqrt|z-i|-|z|$---(1)

and

$2\sqrt{5}+|z-1|\ge |z-3-4i|$ or $2\sqrt{5}\ge |z-3-4i|-|z-1|$ ---(2)

Adding both inequalities (1) and (2) we get

$1+2\sqrt{5}\ge \sqrt|z-i|+|z-3-4i|-|z|-|z-1|$

Hence, the maximum of $f(z)=1+2\sqrt{5}$.

Attachments

• jacks's optimization challenge.JPG
    jacks's optimization challenge.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 52
Thanks anemone for Nice Solution.

My solution is same as Yours.(Triangle Inequality.)

1. What is the maximum value of f(x,y)?

The maximum value of f(x,y) refers to the highest possible output of the function at a given x and y value. It represents the peak or highest point on a graph of the function.

2. How do you find the maximum value of f(x,y)?

To find the maximum value of f(x,y), you can use various methods such as taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to x and y, setting them equal to 0, and solving for the x and y values that make the derivatives 0. You can also use graphical methods, such as finding the highest point on a graph of the function.

3. Can f(x,y) have multiple maximum values?

Yes, f(x,y) can have multiple maximum values. This is possible when there are multiple peaks or high points on the graph of the function. In this case, each maximum value would correspond to a different set of x and y values.

4. How does the maximum value of f(x,y) relate to the minimum value?

The maximum value of f(x,y) and the minimum value are both important points on the graph of the function. They represent the highest and lowest points of the function, respectively. The difference between the maximum and minimum values is known as the range of the function.

5. Can the maximum value of f(x,y) be negative?

Yes, the maximum value of f(x,y) can be negative. This is possible when the function has a negative y-intercept or when the graph of the function has a downward trend. In this case, the maximum value would be the highest negative value on the graph.