Maxwell-Boltzmann Equation (avg velocity)

• Thread starter Calpalned
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary: However, the probability of a particle having a very high speed is extremely small, so the contribution to the average speed from high speeds is negligible.
Calpalned
A question asked me to derive a symbolic expression for mean particle speed using the Max-Boltz equation. I know that Max-Boltz equation is a function of velocity (v).
The Max-Boltz equation is ##f=(\frac{m}{2\pi kT})^{3/2}4\pi v^2 exp(\frac{-mv^2}{2kT})##
Apparently the general formula for the average given a statistical function is ##\bar{v}=\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{fvdv}{n}##
Here is what I don't understand:

1) Where did this formula come from? Does this formula only apply to statistical functions? What is a statistical function?
2) It turns out that division by the number of particles (n) is unnecessary for the Max-Boltz equation. What is reasoning behind this?
3) Why is the integration from zero to infinity? Clearly no particle can have infinite velocity...

Thank you again!

Physics news on Phys.org
Calpalned said:
1) Where did this formula come from? Does this formula only apply to statistical functions? What is a statistical function?
Consider a random variable with discrete values (such as a die). The expectation value is given by summing over the probability of each event times its value:
$$
\begin{align}
\langle x \rangle &= \sum_i P_i x_i \\
&= \frac{1}{6} 1 + \frac{1}{6} 2 + \frac{1}{6} 3 + \frac{1}{6} 4 + \frac{1}{6} 5 + \frac{1}{6} 6 = 3.5
\end{align}
$$
The first line above is the generic equation, the second line is the specific example of a six-sided die. When the random variable is continuous, the sum becomes an integral:
$$
\langle x \rangle = \int f(x) x \, dx
$$
where ##f(x)## is the probability density function (pdf), i.e., the probability that the random variable will have a value between ##x## and ##x + dx##.

Calpalned said:
2) It turns out that division by the number of particles (n) is unnecessary for the Max-Boltz equation. What is reasoning behind this?
I guess it depends on how the pdf is defined. Normally, the MB distribution will give you the speed pdf per particle, so there is no factor 1/n.

Calpalned said:
3) Why is the integration from zero to infinity? Clearly no particle can have infinite velocity...
Thank you again!
This is a non-relativistic theory. Speed is not bounded, so you have to integrate up to infinity.

1. What is the Maxwell-Boltzmann Equation?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann equation is a mathematical formula that describes the distribution of particle velocities in a gas at a given temperature. It takes into account the mass of the particles, the temperature of the gas, and the gas constant, and can be used to calculate the average velocity of the particles in the gas.

2. How is the Maxwell-Boltzmann Equation derived?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann equation was derived by James Clerk Maxwell and Ludwig Boltzmann in the late 19th century. It is based on the kinetic theory of gases, which states that the behavior of gases can be explained by the motion of their particles. The equation was developed through statistical mechanics and is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics.

3. What is the significance of the Maxwell-Boltzmann Equation?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann equation is important because it helps us understand the behavior of gases at the molecular level. It allows us to calculate the average velocity of particles in a gas, and from there we can determine other properties such as pressure, temperature, and energy. It is also used in various applications, such as in the design of engines, refrigeration systems, and in the study of chemical reactions.

4. How does temperature affect the Maxwell-Boltzmann Equation?

Temperature has a significant impact on the Maxwell-Boltzmann equation. As the temperature of a gas increases, the average velocity of its particles also increases. This is because higher temperatures mean that the particles have more kinetic energy and are moving faster. As a result, the distribution of velocities in the gas shifts towards higher values, and the peak of the distribution becomes broader and flatter.

5. Can the Maxwell-Boltzmann Equation be applied to all gases?

Technically, the Maxwell-Boltzmann equation applies to ideal gases, which are theoretical gases that follow certain assumptions, such as having no intermolecular forces and occupying a negligible volume. However, it can also be used as an approximation for real gases as long as the gas is dilute and the particles are non-interacting. In these cases, the equation provides a good estimate of the average velocity of the gas particles.