1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maxwell Boltzmann Distribution

1. Jun 10, 2014 #1
    I don't know how to integrate the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution without approximation or help from Maple.

Given the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution:

f(v) = 4*pi*[m/(2*pi*k*T)]^(3/2)*v^2*exp[(-m*v^2)/(2*k*T)]

Observe the appearance of the Boltzmann factor exp[(-m*v^2)/(2*k*T)] with E = 1/2(mv^2)

Assuming a fixed temperature and mass, one can simplify this equation:

f(v) = a*v^2*exp[-bv^2]
    a = 4*pi*[m/(2*pi*k*T)]^(3/2)
    b = m/(2*k*T)

In order to calculate the fraction of particles between two speeds v1 and v2, one should evaluate the definite integral:

∫f(v)dv

Here is an link to integral-tables, http://integral-table.com/
    How would I solve this problem for let's say a certain amount of moles with hydrogen between two different velocities? Best regards, Tor

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What have you tried in terms of integrating the M-B distribution?

4. Jun 10, 2014 #3
    I've just put in some values to calculate how many atoms gets affected from let's say 400-401 m/s for hydrogen. I'm not sure what solution to pick for this kind of integration, that's what I'm asking. To calculate between higher speeds like 400-500 m/s, an integration is needed.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook