1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maxwell's equation has well defined divergence?

1. Jul 26, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How to I explain that maxwell's equation has well defined divergence

2. Relevant equations

All four EM Maxwell's equation

3. The attempt at a solution

I discussed it by showing one of the property of Maxwell's equation that is the Divergence of a Gradient is always zero (With full solution of proof)

That is

∇⋅∇V = 0

where V is the potential of E-field and

∇⋅∇A = 0

where A is the potential of the B-field

However, it seams that this solution does not satisfy our Professor, now I dont know how to answer this question since by definition when a function is said to be well defined then it should obey its property.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

I'm not sure what the professor is looking for, but ## -\nabla \cdot \nabla V=\rho/\epsilon_0 ## where ## \rho ## is the electric charge density. Two vector identities that are always the case are divergence of curl equals zero and curl of gradient equals zero. The divergence of the gradient is not always equal to zero. Maxwell's equations have ## \nabla \cdot B=0 ## and ## \nabla \cdot E=\rho/\epsilon_o ##, but I don't know exactly what your professor is looking for. Perhaps he is looking for the result that it (the E field and the B field) obeys Gauss's law because it has a well defined divergence but that is just a guess...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted