Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maxwell's equations and spacetime

1. Feb 7, 2014 #1

I'm just beginning to learn relativity, but I have a question about why gravity is so different from other forces of nature in GR. As a start, I read that Einstein tried to find a differential geometric representation of the physical universe which represents the Maxwell equations in a similiar way that the curvature of spacetime in GR represents gravitation - but failed. Could someone elaborate on that, or point me to sources where I can read more about it?

Thanks in advance. :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2014 #2

Science Advisor

IMHO you'd be better off spending your time learning about correct theories rather than incorrect ones! :wink:
  4. Feb 7, 2014 #3

Gold Member

Try Googling 'Kaluza-Klein theory'. It goes some way towards this.
  5. Feb 7, 2014 #4

Science Advisor

+1 for what Bill_K said.

Those alternate theories have long been discredited. Don't waste your time, at least not until you've mastered modern GR in all its g[l]ory detail. :biggrin:
  6. Feb 7, 2014 #5

Science Advisor

We can cast EM in a differential geometric light, in fact we can cast all gauge theories in a differential geometric light. The upshot is that the "gauge covariant derivative" ##D_{\mu} = \partial_{\mu} + ie A_{\mu}## used in EM isn't associated with a physical space-time but rather with the more abstract concept of a ##U(1)##-principal bundle, whereas the covariant derivative ##\nabla_{\mu}## in GR is of course associated with a physical space-time.

See here: http://www.nikhef.nl/~t45/ftip/Ch11.pdf and here: http://www.theorie.physik.uni-goettingen.de/~tedesco/files/connections.pdf [Broken]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook