Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maxwell's equations and spacetime

Tags:
  1. Feb 7, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I'm just beginning to learn relativity, but I have a question about why gravity is so different from other forces of nature in GR. As a start, I read that Einstein tried to find a differential geometric representation of the physical universe which represents the Maxwell equations in a similiar way that the curvature of spacetime in GR represents gravitation - but failed. Could someone elaborate on that, or point me to sources where I can read more about it?

Thanks in advance. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2014 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

IMHO you'd be better off spending your time learning about correct theories rather than incorrect ones! :wink:

4. Feb 7, 2014 #3

Mentz114

Gold Member

Try Googling 'Kaluza-Klein theory'. It goes some way towards this.

5. Feb 7, 2014 #4

strangerep

Science Advisor

+1 for what Bill_K said.

Those alternate theories have long been discredited. Don't waste your time, at least not until you've mastered modern GR in all its g[l]ory detail. :biggrin:

6. Feb 7, 2014 #5

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

We can cast EM in a differential geometric light, in fact we can cast all gauge theories in a differential geometric light. The upshot is that the "gauge covariant derivative" ##D_{\mu} = \partial_{\mu} + ie A_{\mu}## used in EM isn't associated with a physical space-time but rather with the more abstract concept of a ##U(1)##-principal bundle, whereas the covariant derivative ##\nabla_{\mu}## in GR is of course associated with a physical space-time.

See here: http://www.nikhef.nl/~t45/ftip/Ch11.pdf and here: http://www.theorie.physik.uni-goettingen.de/~tedesco/files/connections.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook