1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maxwells relations for an open system

1. Apr 12, 2014 #1

Maylis

Gold Member

Hello

I have learned about maxwells relations and can derive them. I noticed that we had made an assumption of a closed system.

We just learns about chemical potential and the fundamental relations for an open system. I had a thought experiment that there may exist maxwells relations for an open system that is more general than the ones I previously learned. I tried deriving them in the same way as the closed system equations and attached what I came up with. I was wondering if what I'm trying to do is nonsensical, and if so why is it, or if my math is wrong but I'm on the right track towards something real if I could get some input.

Thanks

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1397286764.547128.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2014 #2

Maylis

Gold Member

I think I am onto something with this hypothesis, I have gotten further in the chapter and they seem to use maxwell's relations, but I am not quite following their work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook