Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mayor of Baghdad arrested

1. Apr 27, 2003 #1
    "Mayor" of Baghdad arrested

Mohammed Mohsen al-Zubaidi makes use of the new-found spirit of freedom and democracy in Iraq and sets himself up, with some support, as mayor of Baghdad. The Americans don't like the idea and arrest him.

What's the big difference between invading a country and setting yourself up as mayor of a city? Please explain why the former is right and the latter wrong.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2003 #2
    well i don't rightly agree with such things but best i can tell the logic is that the former was done by Americans and the latter was not. much like the arguments that it is wrong for outsiders such as Syria to try to effect political structure of Iraq, when America is doing just that. it seems hypocrisy is the latest fad.
  4. Apr 27, 2003 #3
    He wasn't democratically elected, so why should he be Mayor. It's the right decision, and an obvious one.
  5. Apr 27, 2003 #4
    Assuming that al-Zubaidi has been a Baghdad resident, difference #1 is that al-Zubaida is a local, not an outsider. Difference #2 is that an invader takes away the order that was present. in al-Zubaidi's case, there was no order, and he was trying to help create it, apparently.
    And you did say that he had some support. How much, I do not know.
  6. Apr 27, 2003 #5

Staff: Mentor

It boggles my mind how people can't see something so obvious.

N_Qure, this guy was just looking to be another dictator. Thats how dictatorships work - use a power vacuum to sieze control. What we did is the exact OPPOSITE. We deposed a dictator and will set up a democracy.
  7. Apr 27, 2003 #6
    Yeah, America will choose a warlord to run Iraq, they don't get to choose themselves!
  8. Apr 27, 2003 #7
    The guy was just some schmuck who set himself up in an office near some American troops, and claimed they had appointed him and were there protecting him. The GIs asked him to stop a few days ago, but apparently he didn't listen. It's like the difference between say the Vatican police stopping you in Rome, and a con man claiming to be the cops shaking you down.
  9. Apr 27, 2003 #8

LOl, as self appointed Mayor, did he also charge tax? fees? etc?
  10. Apr 27, 2003 #9
    *sheepish grin* ...can't blame a guy for tryin...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?