Me & Isaac Newton documentry

• Thread starter Mentat
  • Start date
Originally posted by Mentat
I was just watching a video documentary entitled "Me & Isaac Newton". It contains interviews with some experts in certain fields of science (for example, Michio Kaku was their to explain how he started out in Theoretical Physics and what he believes the future of Science is).

One comment was made on that documentary that I really approved of - and I wanted others' opinions of it. Steven Pinker (one of the interviewees (if that's a word)) said that he viewed those brilliant moments of insight (or those "eureka!" moments) as just another tiny step in a series of previous tiny steps. I agree with him.

He also made the point that, if our subconscious were really capable of understanding the Universe via these "Eureka!" insights, then there is no use of Science of Philosophy - as we could just sit around and wait for our subconscious to tell us the answers.

Any/All comments are appreciated.

No, you can not just "sit and wait" for these eureka moments, cause the people getting them, are working actively on the subject, and suddenly experience a breakthrough in their mind of some problem.

Originally posted by heusdens
No, you can not just "sit and wait" for these eureka moments, cause the people getting them, are working actively on the subject, and suddenly experience a breakthrough in their mind of some problem.

While I agree with you, it appears that there are some who believe otherwise. It seems like an easier world to live in (when all breakthroughs are made without study or rigorous effort (at least subconsciously, though what your subconscious mind does is dependent on what information you have given it consciously)), but there would be no science.

Well, Mentat, my stuborn friend, The Greeks thought they could sit around and contemplate nature and learn about it. So too did Descarte at least in principle. I never said that we could just sit around and think and come to brilliant leaps of knowledge, although the Zen Buddhist do it all the time. I said that with a great amount of study learning and knowledge our minds, the conceptual thinking right side, take all the data, scrambles it up, recombines it, digests it, recollates it and sometimes makes a new brilliant connection and it comes to our consciousness as a Leap of Knowledge or Eureka Moment.

Just a small note of interjection here. Someone once said

"the most profound scientific discoveries never begin with EUREKA! Usually they start with the words "now that's odd..."

On having studied those "Eureka!" moments, in my own life, I would suggest that the occurance is from an accumulation of neuronally stored items suddenly summing into on "surged thought" that is 'simplistic' in it's nature, even though it is culminative, and is 'sumative', and hence, is corporeally felt/sensed, in the head, as a large number of neurons have fired simultaneously.

Whether, or not, that particular thought, is valuable, that is another story altogether.

I think Oprah® calls them "Light Bulb" Moments, but I would, respectfully, suggest, that that is just a little bit trite as explaination, or identification of fact of moment.

Sometimes in my life I had come across thoughts that just sorta blew me away, thinking that this must be important, I looked, only to find that someone else, (in one case, a guy named 'Hercalites' waaaay back in ~something BC) had already been accredited for it, historically, and that "Eureka!" moment, that I had had, was nothing new to the world, only to me......felt nice though.