ME statics shear/moment diagrams through integration

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a loaded beam and calculating the shear and bending moment at a specific point. The formula ΣFy = 9 - (1/3)x^2 - V = 0 is used to calculate the shear and bending moment, but the loading given as w = (2/3)x is not the total applied load. The formula dV/dx = -w is also mentioned, which would result in V = (1/3)x^2, but this contradicts the previous formula. There seems to be confusion about the total applied load and the distributed loading in the conversation.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

Untitled.png

Homework Equations

w=(2/3)x

The Attempt at a Solution

So integrating w to get V

(1/3)x^2 +C

Then Sum in the Y-direction should be
9-(2/3)x+18=0

Somebody tell me what in god's name is going on here. It seems like they are ignoring the 18kN force and then plugging in my shear in the sum of Y-forces... What?!

This totally contradicts the formula dV/dx = -w

That would simply give me V=(1/3)x^2 + C

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if you would post the complete problem statement, as the rules of PF ask you to do.

The equation for ΣFy = 9 - (1/3)x2 - V = 0, applies to the free body diagram depicted in Fig. (b). V and M are the shear force and bending moment which keep this FB in equilibrium under the applied load and the reaction at the LH end of the beam. The right hand reaction of 18 kN is not involved in maintaining this equilibrium, except when dealing with the loaded beam as a whole.

Feodalherren said:
Then Sum in the Y-direction should be
9-(2/3)x+18=0

This is an incorrect statement. The loading of the beam, w = (2/3) x kN/m, is clearly expressing the magnitude of the distributed loading as a function of position along the beam, not the total applied load between 0 and x. Your statement is mixing the two reactions, which are both measured in kN, with a distributed loading, which is measured in kN/m, and thus has no meaning.

Likes Feodalherren
But what about the fact that dV/dx = -w

That would mean that V= (1/3)x^2
??

Feodalherren said:
But what about the fact that dV/dx = -w

That would mean that V= (1/3)x^2
??

According to the OP, V = 9 - (1/3)x^2. What's dV/dx in this case? How does it compare to w = (2/3)x as shown in Fig. (b) of the OP?

What is the purpose of ME statics shear/moment diagrams through integration?

The purpose of ME statics shear/moment diagrams through integration is to analyze the internal forces and moments acting on a structure, such as a beam, due to applied loads. This helps engineers and designers determine the strength and stability of a structure and make necessary modifications.

How are shear/moment diagrams created through integration?

Shear/moment diagrams are created through integration by first finding the equations for shear and moment at any point along the beam. This is done by taking the integral of the distributed load function. The resulting equations are then plotted along the length of the beam to create the shear/moment diagram.

What is the difference between shear and moment in a shear/moment diagram?

Shear is the internal force that acts parallel to the cross-section of a structure, while moment is the internal force that causes a structure to rotate. In a shear/moment diagram, shear is represented by the vertical axis and moment is represented by the horizontal axis.

What are some common applications of ME statics shear/moment diagrams through integration?

ME statics shear/moment diagrams through integration are commonly used in the design and analysis of bridges, buildings, and other structures. They are also useful in determining the maximum load a structure can withstand and identifying potential areas of failure.

What are some important considerations when interpreting shear/moment diagrams?

When interpreting shear/moment diagrams, it is important to note the direction and magnitude of the forces and moments at different points along the beam. The diagrams can also provide information on the distribution of stress and deflection in a structure. Additionally, it is important to consider any discontinuities or changes in loading conditions that may affect the overall analysis.