Mean and weighted mean comparison

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether (c-b)f(a)+(b-a)f(c)>(c-a)f(b) is true for a continuous and strictly increasing function in the domain [a,c]. The speaker provides some example functions and asks about comparing the formula to linear interpolation. They also mention modifying the question to include the condition that f'(x) is strictly increasing. The mean value theorem is suggested as a possible approach for a general proof. The conversation concludes with the idea that if the inequality fails to hold, there must exist two points x and y such that x > y and f'(x) <= f'(y).
gianeshwar
Dear Friends!
Is weighted mean greater than mean?
Actually i need to prove (c-b)f(a)+(b-a)f(c)>(c-a)f(b) when when f is continuous and strictly increasing in [a,c],where a<b<c.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is what you are trying to prove even true? Can you check against some simple example functions?

Dear friend!Thank You for response!
I have checked it and it comes true for f(x) equal to x square for the positive real domains.

Have you checked against the identify function, f(x) = x?

And have you compared the formula in question to linear interpolation?

gianeshwar said:
I have checked it and it comes true for f(x) equal to x square for the positive real domains.

Try [itex] f(x) = \sqrt{x},\ a = 0,\ b = 1,\ c = 9 [/itex]

Thank You dear friends!
I had realized my mistake and an modifying the question.
Now ingnore first part of question and assume that if in addition it is specified that f'(x) is strictly increasing then the cnjecture seems true.BUT I NEED GENERAL PROOF.

The mean value theorem should have something to contribute. Consider the slopes of the lines from (a,f(a)) to (b,f(b)), from (b,f(b)) to (c,f(c)) and from (a,f(a)) to (c,f(c)).

If the inequality fails to hold then you should be able to demonstrate the existence of two points x and y such that x > y and f'(x) <= f'(y)

Thank You all friends!
Ultimately could solve as follows:
f(b)-f(a)/b-a less than f(c)-f(b)/c-b,because f'(p) less than f'(q) due to f'(x) strictly increasing and p in (a,b) and q in (b,c).

FAQ: Mean and weighted mean comparison

1. What is the difference between mean and weighted mean?

The mean is a measure of central tendency that is calculated by summing up all the values in a dataset and dividing by the total number of values. Weighted mean, on the other hand, takes into account the weight or importance of each value in the dataset, giving more weight to values that have a greater impact on the overall result.

2. When should I use mean and when should I use weighted mean?

Mean is typically used when all values in a dataset are equally important. Weighted mean is used when certain values have a greater impact on the overall result, such as in cases where there are outliers or when comparing groups with different sample sizes.

3. How do I calculate mean and weighted mean?

To calculate the mean, you simply add up all the values in a dataset and divide by the total number of values. To calculate weighted mean, you multiply each value by its corresponding weight, add up all the weighted values, and then divide by the sum of the weights.

4. Can mean and weighted mean be used for any type of data?

Mean and weighted mean can be used for both numerical and categorical data. However, they are most commonly used for numerical data.

5. How do I interpret the results of a mean and weighted mean comparison?

The results of a mean and weighted mean comparison can be interpreted in terms of central tendency and the relative importance of different values. The mean represents the average value of the dataset, while the weighted mean takes into account the impact of each value on the overall result.