Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measure bolt loads in an experiment

1. Mar 1, 2013 #1
    I'd like to measure the tension and shear forces on several bolted fasteners during a static test.

I've looked at these and similar products: http://www.innovationplus.com/index.php

...but it is my understanding that these are only good for clamping force (aka tension force).

Anybody have any experience with measuring tension AND shear in a bolted joint during a test?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2013 #2
    What sort of bolted joint are you using where shear is even a concern? If it's untraditional, give a diagram and maybe someone can help you sneak a strain gauge in there.

4. Mar 4, 2013 #3
    I'm not worried about the bolts failing in shear, it's an interface loads study and I need to know what loads go into the structure.

I'm using traditional fasteners. I like the strain gage idea, but I'm unsure where to place the gages.

I'm hoping that someone it familiar with a commercial option I can just use in place of my fasteners to get my experimental loads.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook