Is A Measurable if the Inner and Outer Measures are Equal?

In summary: I make it so the limits on the union and the sum were on the side instead of on the top and bottom?)In summary, the measure of A is $\lambda(A)$ and the measure of B is $\lambda^{*}(B)$.
ryo0071
Let \(\displaystyle \lambda(A)\) denote the measure of \(\displaystyle A\) and let \(\displaystyle \lambda^{*}(A)\) denote the outer measure of \(\displaystyle A\) and let \(\displaystyle \lambda_{*}(A)\) denote the inner measure of \(\displaystyle A\)

Okay so the question is as follows:

Suppose that \(\displaystyle A \cup B\) is measurable and that
\(\displaystyle \lambda(A \cup B) = \lambda^{*}(A) + \lambda^{*}(B) < \infty\)

Prove that \(\displaystyle A\) and \(\displaystyle B\) are measurable.

So I know that \(\displaystyle \lambda^{*}(A) < \infty\) and \(\displaystyle \lambda^{*}(B) < \infty\) otherwise it would contradict \(\displaystyle \lambda(A \cup B) = \lambda^{*}(A) + \lambda^{*}(B) < \infty\) (since if one or both was infinity the sum would be infinity)

So I think it would be enough to show that inner measure is equal to the outer measure. We know that \(\displaystyle \lambda_{*}(A) \leq \lambda^{*}(A)\) for all sets \(\displaystyle A\) so I would need to show \(\displaystyle \lambda^{*}(A) \leq \lambda_{*}(A)\) but I'm not sure how to go about showing this. So first off am I on the right track? Second is how would I go about showing \(\displaystyle \lambda^{*}(A) \leq \lambda_{*}(A)\) if I am on the right track.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
ryo0071 said:
Let \(\displaystyle \lambda(A)\) denote the measure of \(\displaystyle A\) and let \(\displaystyle \lambda^{*}(A)\) denote the outer measure of \(\displaystyle A\) and let \(\displaystyle \lambda_{*}(A)\) denote the inner measure of \(\displaystyle A\)

So I know that \(\displaystyle \lambda^{*}(A) < \infty\) and \(\displaystyle \lambda^{*}(B) < \infty\) otherwise it would contradict \(\displaystyle \lambda(A \cup B) = \lambda^{*}(A) + \lambda^{*}(B) < \infty\) (since if one or both was infinity the sum would be infinity)

So I think it would be enough to show that inner measure is equal to the outer measure. We know that \(\displaystyle \lambda_{*}(A) \leq \lambda^{*}(A)\) for all sets \(\displaystyle A\) so I would need to show \(\displaystyle \lambda^{*}(A) \leq \lambda_{*}(A)\) but I'm not sure how to go about showing this. So first off am I on the right track? Second is how would I go about showing \(\displaystyle \lambda^{*}(A) \leq \lambda_{*}(A)\) if I am on the right track.
There are several different approaches to measure theory, so it would help to know how you are defining inner and outer measure. Also, what space do $A$ and $B$ lie in – $\mathbb{R}$, $\mathbb{R}^n$, a topological space, or a general measure space?

Sorry about that. We have that \(\displaystyle A, B \subset \mathbb{R}^n\).

We developed measure has follows:

Let \(\displaystyle a, b \in \mathbb{R}^n\). A special rectangle is \(\displaystyle I = \{x \in \mathbb{R}^n | a_i \leq x_i \leq b_i \) for \(\displaystyle 1 \leq i \leq n\}\)
The measure of \(\displaystyle I\) is \(\displaystyle \lambda(I) = (b_1 - a_1)\cdots(b_n - a_n)\)

We define a special polygon \(\displaystyle P\) to be a finite union of non overlapping special rectangles. So if \(\displaystyle P = \bigcup_{n = 0}^N I_n\) with \(\displaystyle I_n\) special rectangles, then the measure of P is \(\displaystyle \lambda(P) = \sum_{n = 0}^N \lambda(I_n)\)

We defined the measure of an open set \(\displaystyle G\) to be:
\(\displaystyle \lambda(G) = sup\{\lambda(P)|P \subset G\) and \(\displaystyle P\) is a special polygon\(\displaystyle \}\)
The measure of a compact set \(\displaystyle K\) as:
\(\displaystyle \lambda(K) = inf\{\lambda(G)|K \subset G\) and \(\displaystyle G\) is an open set\(\displaystyle \}\)

With the outer measure defined as:
\(\displaystyle \lambda^{*}(A) = inf\{\lambda(G)|A \subset G\) and \(\displaystyle G\) is an open set\(\displaystyle \}\)
And the inner measure:
\(\displaystyle \lambda_{*}(A) = sup\{\lambda(K)|K \subset A\) and \(\displaystyle K\) is a compact set\(\displaystyle \}\)

I think that should cover everything.

(Also I'm new at writing math on the computer, how would I make it so the limits on the union and the sum were on the side instead of on the top and bottom?)

Last edited:
ryo0071 said:

My first thought on this was that $A$ and $B$ must be almost disjoint (by which I mean that $A\cap B$ should be a null set). If not, then surely it would be true that $\lambda^{*}(A\cup B) < \lambda^{*}(A) + \lambda^{*}(B)$?

I have not checked this through carefully, but here is a rough outline of why I think $A$ should be measurable. I will write $\sim$ to mean "approximately equals", leaving you to translate into a proper proof with epsilons.

Let $U$ be an open set containing $A$, with $\lambda(U) \sim \lambda^{*}(A)$, and let $V$ be an open set containing $B$, with $\lambda(V) \sim \lambda^{*}(B)$. Then $U\cup V \supseteq A\cup B$ and $\lambda(U\cup V) \sim \lambda(A\cup B)$.

Now let $K$ be a compact set contained in $A\cup B$, with $\lambda(K) \sim \lambda(A\cup B)$. Define $L = K-V$. Then $L$ is a compact set contained in $A$. I think that it should be possible to show that $\lambda(L) \sim \lambda(U)$. If so, then $A$ is trapped between $L$ and $U$, whose measures are almost the same. Therefore $A$ is measurable.

ryo0071 said:
(Also I'm new at writing math on the computer, how would I make it so the limits on the union and the sum were on the side instead of on the top and bottom?)
To produce textstyle LaTeX, use \$ ... \$ tags instead of [MATH] ... [/MATH].

Thank you!
Yes, you are on the right track. To show that A and B are measurable, we need to show that the outer measure is equal to the inner measure, i.e. \lambda^{*}(A) = \lambda_{*}(A) and \lambda^{*}(B) = \lambda_{*}(B).

To prove this, we can use the fact that for any set A, we have \lambda^{*}(A) = \inf\{\lambda(U) | U \supseteq A, U \text{ is open}\} and \lambda_{*}(A) = \sup\{\lambda(K) | K \subseteq A, K \text{ is compact}\}.

Now, since A \cup B is measurable, we have \lambda(A \cup B) = \lambda^{*}(A) + \lambda^{*}(B). This means that for any \epsilon > 0, there exist open sets U_1 and U_2 such that A \subseteq U_1, B \subseteq U_2, and \lambda(U_1) + \lambda(U_2) < \lambda(A \cup B) + \epsilon.

Similarly, since A \cup B is measurable, we also have \lambda(A \cup B) = \lambda_{*}(A) + \lambda_{*}(B). This means that for any \epsilon > 0, there exist compact sets K_1 and K_2 such that K_1 \subseteq A, K_2 \subseteq B, and \lambda(K_1) + \lambda(K_2) > \lambda(A \cup B) - \epsilon.

Now, since \lambda(A \cup B) = \lambda^{*}(A) + \lambda^{*}(B) = \lambda_{*}(A) + \lambda_{*}(B), we can combine the above inequalities to get \lambda(U_1) + \lambda(U_2) < \lambda(K_1) + \lambda(K_2) + 2\epsilon.

Since this is true for any \epsilon > 0, we can let \epsilon \to 0 to get \lambda(U_1) + \lambda(U_2) \leq \lambda(K_1) + \lambda(K_2).

But since U_1 and U_2 are

1. What is measure theory and why is it important in mathematics?

Measure theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the concept of "measure", which is a way to assign a numerical value to sets in a space. It is important because it provides a rigorous framework for understanding and analyzing properties of sets, functions, and other mathematical objects. It is also essential in many areas of mathematics such as probability, analysis, and geometry.

2. What are the basic concepts in measure theory?

The basic concepts in measure theory include measures, measurable sets, and measurable functions. Measures are the numerical values assigned to sets, while measurable sets are those for which a measure can be defined. Measurable functions are those that preserve the measure of sets, and they are important in studying the behavior of measures under transformations.

3. What is the difference between a measure and a sigma-algebra?

A measure is a function that assigns a numerical value to sets, while a sigma-algebra is a collection of sets that is closed under countable unions and complements. In other words, a sigma-algebra is a collection of sets that can be measured, and a measure is the function that assigns values to these measurable sets.

4. Can you provide an example of a measure and a sigma-algebra?

One example of a measure is the Lebesgue measure, which assigns a length or area to subsets of the real numbers or Euclidean space. A sigma-algebra on the real numbers could be the Borel sigma-algebra, which contains all open sets and is generated by the open intervals. This sigma-algebra allows us to measure subsets of the real numbers using the Lebesgue measure.

5. What are some applications of measure theory?

Measure theory has many applications in mathematics, physics, and other fields. In probability theory, it is used to define the concept of probability and to study random variables. In analysis, it is used to define integrals and to prove important theorems such as the Radon-Nikodym theorem. In geometry, it is used to define the notion of length, area, and volume, and to study geometric objects such as fractals. It also has applications in economics, engineering, and other areas of science and technology.