Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measurement Devices: Tachometers.

1. Oct 15, 2012 #1
    Hello All,

I am experimenting with DC motors and different speed settings, and I am looking for a way to measure RPM at different voltages and loads. I have been looking at different tachometers and trying to determine what my best option is. The reading does not have to be super sensitive, and I am trying to make it as simple as possible. So far I have found an analog and a laser hand-held tachometer which seems to be my cheapest option.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale/wholesale-rc-tachometer.html

Anyone used these or have any suggestions for other tachometer solutions that are cheap and for small scale 0.25" or so shafts?

I know a device exists that will read rpm from a given motor based on voltage input, but unfortunately said device would be specific to its motor. I dont know if I want to try and build such a thing for the motor I have. :bugeye:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted