Measurement postulate = von Neumann’s projection postulate?

In summary, the conversation discusses the terms "measurement postulate" and "von Neumann's projection postulate" and their potential differences. It is unclear if they are synonymous or what distinguishes them. The speaker suggests that "measurement postulate" may not have a defined meaning and could be another term for "projection postulate." They also mention the possibility of distinguishing between "von Neumann projection" and "Lüders projection," but this is seen as unimportant semantics. Ultimately, the two terms are considered synonymous.
Aidyan
TL;DR Summary
I'm wondering if the "measurement postulate" and the "von Neumann’s projection postulate" refer to the same concept?
I find in the literature frequent reference to the "measurement postulate" and, sometimes, to the "von Neumann’s projection postulate". The difference, if any, seems to me subtle but I can't tell which. However, they are never mentioned both in the same context/paper, so I'm afraid that they may be two completely different postulates not to be confused. I don't get what the difference is. So, the question is if they are synonymous (in that case a simple "yes" answer is sufficient) or , if not, what distinguishes it?

Physics news on Phys.org
My impression is that "measurement postulate" is not a term with a well-defined meaning. If it is used to refer to the change of state during a textbook measurement, it is another name for the projection postulate, yes.

Sometimes, people distinguish between "von Neumann projection" and "Lüders projection" where the latter is used for projections on multidimensional subspaces in the presence of degeneracy but this is really just unimportant semantics.

They are synonmous, just two different names for the same thing. You'll even see Von Neumann's measurement postulate.

Likes dextercioby

What is the Measurement postulate?

The Measurement postulate, also known as von Neumann's projection postulate, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that describes the process of measuring a quantum system. It states that when a measurement is made on a quantum system, the system will collapse into one of the possible eigenstates of the observable being measured.

Who proposed the Measurement postulate?

The Measurement postulate was proposed by the renowned physicist John von Neumann in 1932. It was a significant development in the field of quantum mechanics and has been widely accepted by the scientific community.

What is the purpose of the Measurement postulate?

The Measurement postulate serves as a mathematical tool for predicting the outcomes of measurements on quantum systems. It allows us to calculate the probabilities of obtaining different measurement results and understand the behavior of quantum systems.

How does the Measurement postulate differ from classical measurements?

The Measurement postulate differs from classical measurements in that it involves the concept of superposition, where a quantum system can exist in multiple states simultaneously. In classical measurements, the system is in a definite state, and the measurement simply reveals that state.

What are the implications of the Measurement postulate?

The Measurement postulate has significant implications for our understanding of the quantum world. It suggests that the act of measurement can fundamentally alter the state of a quantum system, and the outcome of a measurement is probabilistic rather than deterministic. This has led to many philosophical debates and has challenged our classical understanding of reality.