Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring 500V DC burst using CRO

1. May 11, 2017 #1
    I have to check whether my circuit producing a burst of 500V in CRO. How can I check whether CRO is capable of handling this high voltage? I have heard about HV probe, how to check the probe that I have is of HV type?

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2017 #2
    If it doesn't look something like this it isn't High Voltage.
    upload_2017-5-11_14-25-53.jpeg

4. May 11, 2017 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You should be able to use a 100:1 'scope probe for that. Read through this tutorial and see what you can find online to buy:

http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/t_and_m/oscilloscope/oscilloscope-probes.php
    Depends on the voltage. Over 10kV or so, that's true. For 500V, the 100:1 probe can be enough. We use 100:1 probes to monitor our CE Mark test waveforms (Surge to 6kV, Burst to 4kV) routinely. :smile:

5. May 12, 2017 #4
    How accurate do you need this to be? You could build a voltage divider and probably get to about 1%. Due to cost - a simple voltage divider is used for voltage sensing in a lot of power converters in this V range,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted