Measuring acoustic energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using capacitive microphones attached to resonating tubes to measure the amplitudes of specific frequencies in a noise field. The individual expresses difficulty in finding information about amplitude domain for these frequencies and asks for recommendations on texts with relevant equations. Another individual suggests using a fast Fourier transform to analyze the power spectrum and mentions the possibility of observing changes in the power spectrum based on microphone position.
Bert Rackett
I would like to measure the relative amplitudes (energy levels) of several specific
frequencies in a noise field. I thought of attaching capacitive microphones to
tubes that would resonate at those frequencies. I've visited hundreds of web sites
that invariably give equations for frequencies and resonant points, but say nothing
about the amplitude domain unless they're talking about musical instruments.
How much larger will my response be in my tube? How large are the harmonic
responses? I have several texts, but they speak qualitatively about resonances and
not quantitatively. can someone point out a text with the math?
Thank you.
Bert Rackett

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as you're sampling at more than twice the highest frequency you want to detect, can't you just put the signal through a fast Fourier transform? You could use something like MatLab to do this and plot the Power Spectrum quite easily.

It would be interesting to see how the power spectrum changes in relation to the position of your microphone. You might expect to see notches at frequencies with wavelengths that destructively interfere with reflections off of the surrounding walls.

I understand your desire to measure the acoustic energy at specific frequencies in a noise field. Your idea of using capacitive microphones attached to resonating tubes is a good approach. However, in order to accurately measure the energy levels at each frequency, you will need to consider several factors.

Firstly, the size and shape of the tubes will affect the amplitude of the response. The larger the tube, the larger the response will be. This is because larger tubes have a larger surface area for sound waves to interact with, resulting in a higher amplitude response.

Additionally, the material and thickness of the tubes will also impact the amplitude of the response. Materials with higher density and thickness will have a higher amplitude response as they are better at transmitting sound waves.

In terms of the harmonic responses, these will depend on the specific frequencies and their relationship to each other. Harmonics occur when a sound wave interacts with a resonant object, in this case, the tubes. The amplitude of the harmonic responses will vary depending on the strength of the original sound wave and the resonant properties of the tubes.

To accurately determine the amplitude of the responses, you will need to use mathematical equations that take into account the above factors. I recommend consulting a textbook on acoustics or sound engineering, as these will provide the necessary equations and explanations for measuring acoustic energy. Some potential textbooks you could refer to include "Fundamentals of Acoustics" by Lawrence E. Kinsler, "Principles of Vibration and Sound" by Thomas D. Rossing, or "The Physics of Sound" by Richard E. Berg and David G. Stork.

I hope this helps guide you in your research and measurement of acoustic energy. Best of luck in your endeavors.

1. What is acoustic energy?

Acoustic energy refers to the form of energy that is carried by sound waves. It is created by the vibration of an object, which causes the surrounding air particles to vibrate and transmit the sound waves.

2. How is acoustic energy measured?

Acoustic energy is measured using a unit called decibels (dB). Decibels are a logarithmic scale that measures the intensity of sound waves. The higher the decibel level, the louder the sound.

3. What is the difference between acoustic energy and sound pressure?

Acoustic energy and sound pressure are closely related, but they are not the same thing. Acoustic energy refers to the total energy carried by sound waves, while sound pressure measures the force or pressure of the sound waves on a surface. Sound pressure is typically measured in units called pascals (Pa).

4. Can acoustic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, acoustic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as electrical energy. This is how microphones and speakers work - sound waves are converted into electrical signals and vice versa.

5. How does the distance from a sound source affect the measurement of acoustic energy?

The farther away you are from a sound source, the lower the measurement of acoustic energy will be. This is because sound energy dissipates as it travels through the air, so the further it has to travel, the weaker it becomes. This is known as the inverse square law, which states that the intensity of sound decreases by the square of the distance from the source.