Estimate pipe diameter based on flow rate

In summary, @ Russ_Watters is trying to build a system to check if a pipe has been produced with a smaller diameter than normal, and he needs to measure the flow rate, the pressure drop, and the ball's radius.
antonclaeys
I'm designing a testing unit where I need to estimate the smallest diameter of a short complex pipe (around 1 meter, three bends and some diameter viariations). Since the pipe is being cooled down in a water bath after production, my idea is to force water with a known pressure in one end of the tube (other end is at pressure of the water bath) and measure the flow rate. I'm assuming that when the smalles diameter of the pipe is much smaller than normal due a construction fault, the flow rate will be lower due to higher pressure buildup in the smallest section of the pipe (like what happens if you almost close the end of your garden hose). However, I'm having troubles proving this. Are my assumptions correct and can someone get me started to prove this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
antonclaeys said:
I'm assuming that when the smalles diameter of the pipe is much smaller than normal due a construction fault, the flow rate will be lower due to higher pressure buildup in the smallest section of the pipe
Pressure drop per length increases if pipe diameter goes down. There is a formula for constant pipe diameters (at least within some length) and laminar flow, but the basic idea stays the same independent of those conditions.

"Large diameter everywhere apart from a spot with small diameter" can still have a better flow than "medium diameter everywhere" - flow does not get a hard limit from some narrow section.

I don't understand: if you are manufacturing the pipe, don't you already know the geometry?

@mfb:
so you're saying that I probably won't be able to measure this?

@russ_watters:
I'm trying to build this system as a test to verify if the pipe diameter isn't smaller than normal; I'm trying to check for construction faults because sometimes the pipe can be almost fully closed and this won't get noticed early enough in the production process.

antonclaeys said:
@mfb:
so you're saying that I probably won't be able to measure this?
What is "this"?

antonclaeys said:
@russ_watters:
I'm trying to build this system as a test to verify if the pipe diameter isn't smaller than normal; I'm trying to check for construction faults because sometimes the pipe can be almost fully closed and this won't get noticed early enough in the production process.
You cannot measure the smallest diameter along the pipe just based on flow measurements.

mfb said:
You cannot measure the smallest diameter along the pipe just based on flow measurements.

Which variables do I need to measure to be able to tell if the pipe has internal obstacles due to production errors (and thus has a diameter which is smaller than normal)? Which kind of measurement setup do you propose?

Take a ball with the required minimal radius, try to get it through, see if it gets stuck?

Likes profinger

1. How do I calculate the pipe diameter for a given flow rate?

To estimate the pipe diameter based on flow rate, you can use the Darcy-Weisbach equation. First, determine the flow rate in gallons per minute (GPM) or liters per second (LPS). Then, plug the flow rate, along with the fluid density, viscosity, and pipe length, into the equation to solve for the pipe diameter.

2. What information do I need to estimate the pipe diameter?

You will need to know the fluid flow rate, density, and viscosity, as well as the pipe length and any relevant factors such as fittings or valves in the pipeline. This information can be obtained from engineering specifications or testing.

3. Can I estimate the pipe diameter without knowing the flow rate?

No, the flow rate is a crucial factor in calculating the pipe diameter. Without knowing the flow rate, you cannot accurately determine the appropriate diameter for the pipe.

4. How accurate is the estimated pipe diameter based on flow rate?

The accuracy of the estimated pipe diameter will depend on the accuracy of the input values, such as the flow rate, fluid properties, and pipe length. It is essential to use precise measurements and consider any potential factors that may affect the calculation, such as changes in elevation or frictional losses.

5. Are there any other methods for estimating pipe diameter besides the Darcy-Weisbach equation?

Yes, there are other methods, such as the Hazen-Williams equation or the Manning formula. However, the Darcy-Weisbach equation is commonly used in engineering and is generally considered the most accurate for estimating pipe diameter based on flow rate.