1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring sum of two components of spin angular momentum

1. Nov 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What are the possible results of the measurement of the sum of the x and z components of the spin angular momentum of a spin-1/2 particle?

Sx = Spin angular momentum operator x
    Sz = Spin angular momentum operator x

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I started by applying the spin-up eigenket to the sum of the spin angular momentum operators.

(Sx + Sz) | up > = Sx | up > + Sz | up > = -1/2h_bar + 1/2h_bar = 0

The text I'm using proves that Sx | up > = 1/2h_bar | down >
    and like wise Sx | down > = 1/2h_bar | up >

Does this mean if you were to probe the particle for spin up in the x direction you would actually see spin down?

then I applied the spin down eigen-ket to pull the possible eigenvalues from the operators.

(Sx + Sz) | down > = Sx | down > + Sz | down > = +1/2h_bar + (-1/2h_bar) = 0

I feel that there is something wrong with how I've gone about calculating this.. I know that Sx and Sz don't commute therefore you cannot measure their eigenvalues simultaneously. Since I get zero did I show this correctly?

Also, the eigenkets for spin up and spin down are considered the eigenvectors, correct?

I am still trying to get the hang of the linear algebra and what everything means so any help would be amazing!

Thanks
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

One problem with your work is that saying, for example, that ##\hat{S}_x \lvert \text{up} \rangle = \frac{\hbar}{2}## doesn't make sense. This is akin to writing
    $$\frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} = \frac{\hbar}{2}.$$ The lefthand side is a vector, but the righthand side is a scalar.

No. Rid yourself of the notion that taking a measurement means applying the associated operator to a state.

The result of a measurement is one of the eigenvalues of the associated observable. Given the state of a particle, you can calculate the probability amplitude for a particular result by finding the projection of this state in the direction of the corresponding eigenstate. For example, if you were measuring the spin in the z-direction, you would need to know the eigenvalues of ##\hat{S}_z##, which are ##\pm \hbar/2##, and the corresponding eigenstates, ##\lvert + \rangle## and ##\lvert - \rangle##. If the particle is in state ##\psi##, the probability amplitude for finding the particle in the spin-up state is ##\langle + \vert \psi \rangle##, which is generally a complex number. The probability is given by square of the modulus of the amplitude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted