1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pauli spin matrices, operating on |+> with Sx

1. Jun 15, 2011 #1

L-x

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the result of operating on the state |+> with the operator Sx?

here, |+> denotes the eigenstate of Sz with eigenvalue 1/2. I am working in units where h-bar is 1 (for simplicity, and because I don't know how to type it)

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]S_i = \frac{1}{2} σ_i [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    My understanding of the physics of the problem is that after measurement the system will be in state where the x component of its spin is certain, as [Sx,Sz] != 0 this means it will be in some superposition of the states |+> and |-> My intuition tells me that the probability for the particle to be found in either state should be equal.

However, operating with the matrix representation of Sx :[tex]\frac{1}{2}
    \left( \begin{array}{cc} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{array} \right)
    [/tex]
    on |+> just gives (1/2)|->

What am i doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2011 #2

L-x

I think I understand where I've gone wrong now. The problem is in my intuition, not in my appilcation of the pauli matrices.

as [tex]|+> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|+_x> + |-_x>) [/tex]
    (where [tex]|+_x> and |-_x>[/tex] are the eigenvectors of S_x with eigenvalues +/- 1/2)

when we operate with Sx we obtain [tex](2^{-\frac{1}{2}})(\frac{1}{2}|+_x> - \frac{1}{2}|-_x>) [/tex] which is equal to [tex]\frac{1}{2}|->[/tex]. The confusion I had was due to a faliure to distinguish between operation with a linear operator and measurement of an ovservable.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  4. Jun 18, 2011 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, your reasoning is correct, and you have the correct result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook