1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring the electron mobility of a molecule

1. Jul 11, 2014 #1
    Hello PF

Let's say I have a device with three layers, A, B, and C, where layers A and C are the anode and cathode.

I can measure the IV curves from that device easily. Now lets say I added a fourth layer, D, in between A and B. Layer D interacts with layer B such that it increases it's conductivity.

So if I measure the IV curves again, I should get an increase in I for a given V. From looking up some equations on mobility, I know I can characterize the mobility as *sigma* = n e *mu*.

Now I would normally say that if I get a doubling of conductivity, I would get a doubling of mobility, but the charge carrier density, n, is different since I added the fourth layer D. So how could I figure out my exact increase in mobility?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2014 #2
    Is this STM stuff?

Go back to ohms law here. Convert the conductivity (sigma) to resistivity (R) and then add up all the resistivities. You might have to solve a set of 2 or more equations here.

4. Jul 13, 2014 #3
    What I have is a layer of Indium Tin Oxide as the anode, a molecule in between, and gold as the cathode. When I run the IV curve of it, it isnt a linear relationship. The closest way I can approximate the behavior is like sqrt(x) or 1-e^(-x). the slope is constantly changing, so I don't know if I can apply ohms law.

5. Jul 14, 2014 #4
    Good point. You can't directly apply ohms law. The IV curves you're studying intimately depend on the electronic structure and material interface, so you might have to dive down the rabbit hole here, and really develop an understanding of electronic structure.

You may still be able to apply ohms law at specific points along the IV curve by Taylor expanding the resistances about a specific voltage there. Doing this for all voltages will give you a hodge podge of approximations as opposed to one nice equation, though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook