Mech Engineering Four-Bar Linkage Angle Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a design problem involving a crank rocker and finding all the angles. The individual has chosen their sides and the crank will move in increments of 30 degrees up to 360 degrees. They have plugged in their values, but the sum of the angles does not equal 360 degrees, and they are wondering if this is correct or if they are doing something wrong. They also mention that all their sides follow the equation l1+l2<l3+l4 and apologize for not including a picture of the crank rocker.
chronie

Homework Statement

I have a design problem where I have to design a crank rocker and find all the angles. I have already chosen my sides. The crank will move in increments of 30* up until 360.

Homework Equations

**Please see the attachments

The Attempt at a Solution

I have plugged in my values, however when I plot all my angles they do not all equal 360 degrees. If I am correct don't all four of my angles have to be 360 degrees?

In fact the sum of my angles start at 180, increase in increments of 30degrees until 540degrees.

All my sides have obeyed the l1+l2<l3+l4. Can someone explain to me if this is correct or what I am doing wrong.Much Thanks,-c

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 489
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry I forgot to add a picture of the crank

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 462

1. What is a four-bar linkage?

A four-bar linkage is a mechanical system consisting of four rigid links, or bars, connected by four joints. It is commonly used in engineering and industrial applications to transfer motion and force from one point to another.

2. What is the purpose of a four-bar linkage?

The main purpose of a four-bar linkage is to convert motion between different points. It can also amplify or decrease force or torque, and can be used to create complex movements.

3. How is the angle of a four-bar linkage calculated?

The angle of a four-bar linkage can be calculated using the cosine law or the sine law, depending on the type of linkage. The angle is typically measured between two of the links, and can vary as the system moves.

4. What factors affect the angle of a four-bar linkage?

The angle of a four-bar linkage can be affected by the lengths of the links, the position of the joints, and the type of motion being transferred. Changes in these factors can result in different angles and movements of the system.

5. What are some common applications of four-bar linkages?

Four-bar linkages are commonly used in machinery, such as engines, pumps, and steering systems. They can also be found in everyday objects, such as scissors, pliers, and bicycles.