Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical Engineers AHOY

1. Jan 24, 2004 #1
    Mechanical Engineers AHOY!!!

Im taking mechanical engineering as my undergrad degree course. I will start to do first year this year. Well, i know everything about whats inside the brochure...

I just need some explanation about what goes on behind the scenes. From what i found out from mechanical engineers who are actually working out there in the big big world, they had to prepare espressos for their bosses before doing what they had intended to do...mechanical engineering.

My uncle who has a business qualification and is working in an engineering firm does engineering job....

What actually happens out there???
    Can anyone tell me the nature of the job? (can it be compared with mechatronics?)

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2004 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Mechanical engineering is a very broad field and as such, the types of jobs are also very broad. I design air conditioning systems for buildings. One of the jobs I applied for was selling machine tools (glad I didn't get that one).

4. Nov 18, 2010 #3
    Re: Mechanical Engineers AHOY!!!

It also include Machine design

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?