Mechanical or Materials for Automotive Research

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential opportunities in industrial automotive research for someone with a PhD in either mechanical or materials engineering. The speaker suggests that there is currently a high demand for materials scientists in the industry, and their own experience as a materials engineering student has led them to receive job offers. However, they also mention the challenge of HR professionals understanding the interconnectedness of different fields of science. The speaker advises the listener to monitor job postings and pay attention to the listed requirements to determine the demand for their specific field of interest.
Quentin_alex
Hello,

I am wondering if getting a mechanical or materials PhD will grant me more access to industrial automotive research opportunities. I understand the difference between materials and mechanical, but I am wondering if there's greater opportunity in materials research related to automotive than there is in mechanical. I am currently a materials undergrad and am wondering if I should change to mechanical.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
There is currently a lot of opportunity in materials. I cannot say that I have looked into it from the mechanical side but, I do know that industry, in general, is in demand for materials scientists. I am currently getting my M. S. in materials engineering and have already had recruiters calling me and asking if I am done with my degree yet. Unfortunately, I did not start in the materials field so the human resource people can't comprehend why they should hire someone to a position that they don't have a specific degree for. They are the equivalent of the gate keeper from Monty Python's Quest for the Holy grail.

Currently, I work as an alloy chemist in a specialty steel mill. Some of the material that we produce is for the automotive industry. With companies trying to change the structural alloys used for production (such as the F-150s switch to aluminum), I can't help but think that there will continue to be opportunity for that in the future. I believe the latest job post I saw in the direction you are looking in was in Akron, OH.

I would advise you to keep an eye on different job posting sites and see what kind of jobs are being posted in both of your fields of interest, and keep a close eye on their listed requirements. H. R. people have a hard time understanding that science interrelates, they will make sure a specific kind of education background is specified.

1. What is the purpose of researching Mechanical or Materials for Automotive?

The purpose of researching Mechanical or Materials for Automotive is to improve the performance, efficiency, and safety of vehicles. This research helps to develop new and advanced materials, components, and systems that can withstand the demands of the automotive industry.

2. What are some common materials used in the automotive industry?

Some common materials used in the automotive industry include steel, aluminum, plastics, rubber, and various composites. These materials are chosen for their strength, durability, and lightweight properties.

3. What are some current challenges in Mechanical or Materials for Automotive research?

Some current challenges in Mechanical or Materials for Automotive research include finding sustainable and eco-friendly materials, reducing vehicle weight and emissions, and improving fuel efficiency. There is also a growing need for materials that can withstand extreme temperatures and harsh environments.

4. How does research in Mechanical or Materials for Automotive impact the industry?

Research in Mechanical or Materials for Automotive has a significant impact on the industry by driving innovation and improving the overall performance and safety of vehicles. It also helps to reduce costs and improve the sustainability of the automotive industry.

5. What skills are necessary for a career in Mechanical or Materials for Automotive research?

A career in Mechanical or Materials for Automotive research requires a strong background in engineering, materials science, and mechanics. Additionally, skills in data analysis, problem-solving, and critical thinking are essential for conducting successful research in this field.