1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Mechanical or Materials for Automotive Research

1. Jul 18, 2016 #1
    Hello,

I am wondering if getting a mechanical or materials PhD will grant me more access to industrial automotive research opportunities. I understand the difference between materials and mechanical, but I am wondering if there's greater opportunity in materials research related to automotive than there is in mechanical. I am currently a materials undergrad and am wondering if I should change to mechanical.

Thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2016 #2
    There is currently a lot of opportunity in materials. I cannot say that I have looked into it from the mechanical side but, I do know that industry, in general, is in demand for materials scientists. I am currently getting my M. S. in materials engineering and have already had recruiters calling me and asking if I am done with my degree yet. Unfortunately, I did not start in the materials field so the human resource people can't comprehend why they should hire someone to a position that they don't have a specific degree for. They are the equivalent of the gate keeper from Monty Python's Quest for the Holy grail.

Currently, I work as an alloy chemist in a specialty steel mill. Some of the material that we produce is for the automotive industry. With companies trying to change the structural alloys used for production (such as the F-150s switch to aluminum), I can't help but think that there will continue to be opportunity for that in the future. I believe the latest job post I saw in the direction you are looking in was in Akron, OH.

I would advise you to keep an eye on different job posting sites and see what kind of jobs are being posted in both of your fields of interest, and keep a close eye on their listed requirements. H. R. people have a hard time understanding that science interrelates, they will make sure a specific kind of education background is specified.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted