Mechanics of Materials: Torsion

In summary, the fraction of the torque, T_D , resisted by the steel at C labeled as T_c is given by the following expression: T_c = T_D \left[\frac{G_s J_s}{G_b J_b + G_s J_s}\right]\left[\frac{L_{ad}}{L}\right]
steak313

Homework Statement

A shaft fixed on both ends is shown below. It is made of a steel tube, which is bonded to a brass core. A torque [tex] T_D[/tex] is applied at location shown. The tube is fixed at both ends.

[PLAIN]http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/2940/problem2eb.jpg

Show that the fraction of the torque, [tex] T_D [/tex], resisted by the steel at C labeled as [tex] T_c[/tex] is given by the following expression: [tex] T_c = T_D \left[\frac{G_s J_s}{G_b J_b + G_s J_s}\right]\left[\frac{L_{ad}}{L}\right] [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] \phi = \frac{TL}{JG} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am thinking I should start with a free body diagram. The shaft is fixed which makes me think that the angle of twist will be zero allowing me to use this equation to solve for torques. If I am not mistaken the torque as C will be [tex] T_D [/tex] in the opposite direction.

At point C I have [tex] \frac{T_c L}{G_sJ_s}= \frac{T_dL_{ad}}{G_bJ_b} + \frac{T_d L_{ad}}{G_sJ_s} [/tex]

Obviously this isn't correct; it seems like they may have simply combined the modulus of rigidiy and polar moments for the part of the shaft AD. Any input, am I on the correct track? Or did I possibly miss something about combining these components when a shaft is bonded to a core of different material?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
steak313 said:
So I am thinking I should start with a free body diagram.
Yes, which free body diagram?
The shaft is fixed which makes me think that the angle of twist will be zero
Where will it be 0?
allowing me to use this equation to solve for torques. If I am not mistaken the torque as C will be [tex] T_D [/tex] in the opposite direction.
. No. If the torque at C is equal and opposite to T_D, that implies that the torque at A is 0, which seems illogical.
Or did I possibly miss something about combining these components when a shaft is bonded to a core of different material?
Hint: The angle of twist at D is the same immediately to the left and right of D. What's the torque immediately to the left of D? What's the torque immediately to the right of D? You must draw free body diagrams of sections cut through these points and about one end to find out. And don't forget the equilibrium equation for sum of torques.

Thank you very much for your reply! Earlier some students and I worked the problem together and it is much clearer now. Thanks!

1. What is torsion in mechanics of materials?

Torsion is a type of mechanical stress that occurs when a material is subjected to twisting forces. It can cause deformation and failure in materials, particularly in long, slender structures such as beams, shafts, and columns.

2. How is torsion calculated in mechanics of materials?

Torsion is typically calculated using the formula T = k * θ, where T is the torsional moment, k is the torsional spring constant, and θ is the angle of twist. The torsional spring constant depends on the material properties and the geometry of the structure.

3. What is the difference between shear stress and torsional stress?

Shear stress is a type of stress that occurs when two parallel forces act in opposite directions on an object, causing it to slide or deform. Torsional stress, on the other hand, occurs when a twisting force is applied to an object. While both involve the shearing of material, torsional stress specifically refers to the twisting motion.

4. How does torsion affect the strength of a material?

Torsion can significantly weaken a material, particularly if the material is not designed or capable of withstanding torsional forces. Torsional stress can cause deformation, buckling, and even failure in materials. Therefore, it is important to consider torsion when designing structures to ensure they can withstand these forces.

5. What are some examples of torsion in everyday life?

Torsion can be seen in everyday objects such as screwdrivers, wrenches, and doorknobs. It is also a common stress in vehicle components like driveshafts and axles. In nature, torsion can be seen in the twisting motion of plant stems and the coiling of animal tails.