1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics of Materials: Torsional deformation at free end with torque at middle

1. Aug 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A circular shaft AB has a torque T acting at the middle of the shaft, defined as plane C. Shaft end A is fixed while shaft end B is free to rotate (mounted in a thrust bearing). Finding the twist angle from A to C is not difficult, but the question requires that the twist angle from A to B be determined.

2. Relevant equations
    phi=(T*L)/(G*I_p)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have looked back through all my class notes, homework, and mechanics of materials textbooks and can't seem to find any examples where a shaft has a free end with no reaction torques and where the twist angle is determined there. I have been able to find several sources which say that the twist angle rate should remain constant for the length of the rod, but I am not sure if this applies for a rod where there is no reaction torque on the free end. From a materials perspective, I would also not expect the twist angle rate to instantly change after plane C where the torque is applied. Can anyone help me out with understanding what would happen from C to B on the shaft?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: Is there any torque in the section from C to B? What does that tell you about the twist at B relative to C? Or the twist at B relative to A?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook