Calculating Projectile Force from Rotational Velocity of a Throwing Sling

• Thread starter Riley Werling
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the rotational velocity of a sling and use that to calculate the force of a projectile from the sling. Factors such as the length of the sling and the speed at which it is whirled are important in determining the projectile's speed. The effective length of the sling is the length of the thongs plus additional length from the user's arms. An average sling length of 48 inches and an estimated whirling speed of 100 rotations per minute (1.67 revs/second) are used to illustrate the calculation process.
Riley Werling
Hey, I am not sure if this should be posted somewhere else, if so if you could direct me it would be much appreciated. So my question is how would i find the rotational velocity of a sling and how i could use that to calculate the force of a projectile from said sling. I've tried doing some research online but most of what I've read is way over my head so i was hoping someone here might be able to help me.

Thanks for any and all help you guys provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that you are talking about a real sling - that is two thongs and a pouch which are whirled around until one of the thongs is released and the projectile flies free ?

The whirling speed is really determined by choice by the person using the sling . The speed picked up by the projectile is a simple function of the whirling speed and the effective length of the sling .

The effective length of the sling is the length of the thongs plus some additional length from your arms .

So how fast (rpm) can you whirl a sling and what is the effective length of your sling ?

Last edited:
Hint : For simplicity you can assume that the centre of rotation for the whirling is at you shoulder . Remember that your arms will most likely be bent .

So how fast (rpm) can you whirl a sling and what is the effective length of your sling ?[/QUOTE]
Sling would be 48in long and idek what rpm would be.. can't find an average anywhere online socichave no clue

How fast can you whirl your arms around ?

Pretty fast, if youre asking for a number i couldn't tell you

Likes sophiecentaur
Whirl you arm as fast as possible and count the number of rotations made in a minute or if you can't manage a complete minute try thirty seconds .

Nidum said:
Whirl you arm as fast as possible and count the number of rotations made in a minute or if you can't manage a complete minute try thirty seconds .

So 100 turns in 1 minute or 100 rpm . Good .

100/minute is 100/60 = 1.67 revs/second .

The speed of the sling pouch as it goes around in a circle is given by 2 * pi * L * (revs/second) where L is the effective length of the sling .

L= 48 inches but we'll convert that to metres for our calculations . So we'll use L = 1.2 metres .

Do you want to try working out the pouch speed ?

1. How does a throwing sling work?

A throwing sling works by using the principles of angular momentum and centripetal force. The user swings the sling in a circular motion, creating angular momentum. When the sling is released, the centripetal force causes the projectile to fly outwards in a straight line.

2. What materials are commonly used to make a throwing sling?

The most common materials used to make a throwing sling are leather, suede, and canvas. These materials are flexible and durable, allowing for a smooth release of the projectile.

3. What is the purpose of the finger loop in a throwing sling?

The finger loop in a throwing sling serves two purposes. First, it helps the user maintain control and stability while swinging the sling. Second, it provides a secure grip for releasing the sling at the right moment.

4. How is the length of a throwing sling determined?

The length of a throwing sling is determined by the user's arm length and the desired throwing distance. The sling should be long enough to generate sufficient angular momentum, but not too long that it becomes difficult to control.

5. Are there different types of throwing slings for different purposes?

Yes, there are different types of throwing slings for different purposes. Traditional throwing slings are used for hunting or warfare and have a longer length for increased throwing distance. Modern throwing slings, also known as slingshots, are used for recreational purposes and have a shorter length for better accuracy.