Solve Mechanics Problem: Carrier Loads, F=50kN, M=20kNm, g=10kN/m, a=1m

• Thread starter ulo_minje
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the attempt at a solution found the following:- resistance of supporters: 43.25 kN- intensities of elementary static dimensions for section(cut) at the point C on the carrier: 16kNm- greatest moment of flexion: 89kNm- check of axial forces, transversal forces and moments of flexion:a) resistance of supporters:##\sum _{i=1} ^n X_i = 0 \\ X_A + X = 0 \\ X_A = -X \\ X_A = -43.25kN \\\\ \sum _{i=1} ^n Y_i = 0 \\
ulo_minje

Homework Statement

For carrier loaded the way it's shown in the picture and whose load-values are:
F=50kN, M=20kNm, g= 10kN/m and a=1m
a) find analytically resistances of supporters
b) find analytically intensities of elementary static dimensions for section(cut) at the point C on the carrier
c)find the greatest moment of flexion
d)graphically represent the check of axial forces, transversal forces and moments of flexion

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) resistance of supporters:
##\sum _{i=1} ^n X_i = 0 \\ X_A + X = 0 \\ X_A = -X \\ X_A = -43.25kN \\ \\ \sum _{i=1} ^n Y_i = 0 \\ Y_A - F_g + F_B - Y = 0 \\ \\ \sum _{i=1} ^n M_A = \\ -Y6a + F_B5a - M - F_ga = 0 \\ F_B = \frac{Y6a + M + F_ga}{5a} \\ F_B=\frac{25*6*1 + 20 + 40*1}{5*1} \\ F_B = 42kN \\ \\ Y_A = F_g - F_B + Y \\ Y_A = 40 - 42 + 25 \\ Y_A = 23kN \\ \\ F_A = \sqrt{x_A^2 + Y_A^2} \\ F_A = 48.98kN \\ \\ tan\alpha_A = \frac{Y_A}{X_A} \\ tan\alpha_A = -o.531 \\ \alpha_{A'} = 62\degree 60'##

b)
## F_A= - X_A = 43.25kN \\ F_t = Y_A - g3a = -7kN \\ M_X = Y_A2a - g3a = 16kNm##

c) ##D: M_X = 0 \\ E: M_X = g\frac{a}{2}3a^4 = 15kNm \\ A: M_X = 9*3a^4 = 30kNm \\ F: M_X = 92a^2 + Y_A3a = 89kNm \\ C: M_X = Y_A2a - g3a = 16kNm \\ G: Y_Aa^3 = 23kNm \\ H':\frac{a}{2}a^2 + M = 10kNm \\ H'': M_X = a^2 + M = 20kNm \\ B: M_X = a + M = 21kNm \\ J: M_X = 0 ##

and now graphically (picture of carrier is also shown here) :
ova slika.jpg

Now, i would like to know if i made any mistakes here.

Physics news on Phys.org
This image is so blurry as to be useless for checking your work. Please post a better image or make a separate sketch of the problem.

upload_2015-12-21_15-9-32.png

Is it ok?

ulo_minje said:
What's the angle of the 50 kN force with respect to the beam?

30 degrees

ulo_minje said:

Homework Statement

For carrier loaded the way it's shown in the picture and whose load-values are:
F=50kN, M=20kNm, g= 10kN/m and a=1m
a) find analytically resistances of supporters
b) find analytically intensities of elementary static dimensions for section(cut) at the point C on the carrier
c)find the greatest moment of flexion
d)graphically represent the check of axial forces, transversal forces and moments of flexion

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) resistance of supporters:
##\sum _{i=1} ^n X_i = 0 \\ X_A + X = 0 \\ X_A = -X \\ X_A = -43.25kN \\ \\ \sum _{i=1} ^n Y_i = 0 \\ Y_A - F_g + F_B - Y = 0 \\ \\ \sum _{i=1} ^n M_A = \\ -Y6a + F_B5a - M - F_ga = 0 \\ F_B = \frac{Y6a + M + F_ga}{5a} \\ F_B=\frac{25*6*1 + 20 + 40*1}{5*1} \\ F_B = 42kN \\ \\ Y_A = F_g - F_B + Y \\ Y_A = 40 - 42 + 25 \\ Y_A = 23kN \\ \\ F_A = \sqrt{x_A^2 + Y_A^2} \\ F_A = 48.98kN \\ \\ tan\alpha_A = \frac{Y_A}{X_A} \\ tan\alpha_A = -o.531 \\ \alpha_{A'} = 62\degree 60'##
I've checked your calculations of the reactions at A and B.

It's not clear from the diagram, but I'm assuming that the beam is pinned at A and free to move horizontally at B, which means that A can resist a force applied axially.
In that case, the horizontal reaction at A would be -43.25 kN as you indicated.

For the vertical reactions, it seems you have written in incorrect moment equation about point A. Therefore, the vertical reactions you have calculated are incorrect.

Remember, the distributed load w and the vertical component of the concentrated load F are working in opposite directions from one another, that is, the vertical component of the concentrated load F is tending to support the beam and reduce the reactions at A and B.

You ask us to tell you if there are mistakes. As far as the reactions are concerned this is something that you could check yourself. In this case, having obtained the reactions, by summing forces in x and y directions, plus taking moments about A (wherever that is - not annoted), you do the check by taking moments about any point other than A, and if there is equilibrium, then either you are correct or you have self-cancelling errors. The same is true for functions such as bending moment. If you use the definition of bending moment that it is the algebraic sum of moments on one side of a section, then this should be precisely the same as the algebraic sum of the moments on the other side of the section; and that is your check. errors are usually caused by mis-applying sign conventions. The same applies to shear force or axial force. So you don't need US to check your work when you could do it yourself, and this is what people in industry have to do when they are analyzing real world problems not found in textbooks.

1. What do the variables F, M, g, and a represent in this mechanics problem?

F represents the applied force of 50 kN, M represents the moment of 20 kNm, g represents the gravitational force of 10 kN/m, and a represents the distance of 1 m.

2. How do I calculate the total load on the carrier in this problem?

The total load on the carrier can be calculated by adding the applied force and the gravitational force together. In this case, it would be 50 kN + 10 kN/m * 1 m = 60 kN.

3. Can I use the equation F = ma to solve this problem?

No, the equation F = ma is used for linear motion, not for solving mechanics problems involving forces and moments.

4. What is the unit of measurement for the applied force and moment in this problem?

The unit of measurement for the applied force (F) is kilonewtons (kN) and for the moment (M) is kilonewton meters (kNm).

5. Is this problem solvable using the principles of statics?

Yes, this problem can be solved using the principles of statics, specifically the equations for summing forces and moments in equilibrium.