Mechanics - stress on rod of differing thickness and change in length

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the greatest stresses and overall change in length of a hollow cylinder. The book provides the answer that the top of the rod has the greatest stress of 7.64 MPa. However, it is important to consider the constraints and proper calculation of stress by drawing a free body diagram. The correct unit symbols for kilonewton and megapascal are kN and MPa respectively, with a space between the value and unit symbol.
mh1985

Homework Statement

Determine
a)where the greatest stresses are
b) overall change in length

zA1ZG.jpg

That is meant to be a hollow cylinder on the bottom section inbetween the dotted lines

E = 200 GPa

Homework Equations

σ = Fn / A

ε = dl / lo = σ / E

The Attempt at a Solution

The book gives the answer as the top of the rod having the greatest stress = 7.64 MPa

So working back from that answer the force on the top of the rod = 15 kN

I assumed this was because -20+10-5 = -15 kN, but when I used -15 kN for the rest of the sections the stress was much higher due to the smaller area.

ie. 15e3/[(pi 25 mm^2)] = 7.64 MPa (top section)

15e3/[(pi 20 mm^2)] = 11.94 MPa (middle section)

15e3/ [(pi 10mm^2)] = 47.75 MPa (bottom section)

So my problem is that I don't know whether to include all the forces when calculating strain for each section or not..Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mh1985: You did not show constraints on the rod yet. Therefore, we do not know where nor how the rod is attached to the outside world. By the way, regarding units, please see the following. You can edit your post by hitting the Edit button.

1. Always leave a space between a numeric value and its following unit symbol. E.g., 10 kN, not 10kN. See the international standard for writing units (ISO 31-0).

2. The unit symbol for kiloNewton is spelled kN, not KN. K means kelvin; k means kilo. Always use correct capitalization of units. See NIST for the correct spelling of any unit symbol.

3. MN/m^2 is called MPa. Always use the correct, special name for a unit. E.g., 7.64 MPa, not 7.64 MN/m^2. See the above links in item 1.

4. Parentheses must be used to show grouping for division. E.g., 15e3/[pi*(625 mm^2)], not 15e3/pi 625 mm.

nvn said:
thanks for pointing that out, I've made the changes now

Last edited:
In order to calculate the proper axial stress, you must draw a free body diagram for the section of the rod where you want to calculate stress. You cannot add up all of the applied loads and say that the sum of the loads acts anywhere along the length of the rod.

mh1985 said:
thanks for pointing that out; I've made the changes now.
mh1985: The unit symbol for megapascal is spelled MPa, not Mpa. And you still need a space in 200 GPa.

Also, the forum software currently has a bug and is erroneously changing some characters if you quote my text. Therefore, could you delete your quotation, in post 3, of my post, because it erroneously changed some spaces to asterisk, and could confuse others on how to write units correctly. Or else change the seven extraneous asterisks to spaces. There should be only one asterisk in my post, not eight asterisks. Thanks.

1. How does the thickness of a rod affect its stress and change in length?

The thickness of a rod plays a significant role in determining the stress and change in length it experiences. Thicker rods have a larger cross-sectional area, allowing them to distribute stress more evenly and reduce the overall amount of stress. This results in less change in length compared to thinner rods, which have a smaller cross-sectional area and are more susceptible to stress and deformation.

2. What is the relationship between stress and change in length for rods of differing thickness?

The relationship between stress and change in length for rods of differing thickness is directly proportional. This means that as the stress on a rod increases, the change in length also increases. However, this relationship is affected by the thickness of the rod, as thicker rods can withstand higher levels of stress before experiencing a significant change in length.

3. How does the material of a rod impact its stress and change in length?

The material of a rod also plays a crucial role in its stress and change in length. Different materials have different properties, such as elasticity and strength, that affect how they respond to stress. For example, a steel rod will experience less change in length compared to an aluminum rod of the same thickness and under the same amount of stress, due to its higher strength and stiffness.

4. Can the length of a rod be changed without applying external forces?

No, the length of a rod cannot be changed without applying external forces. Rods are designed to be rigid and resist changes in length, so they will not change in length unless acted upon by an external force. Even small changes in temperature can cause a rod to expand or contract, resulting in a change in length.

5. How can the stress and change in length of a rod be calculated?

The stress and change in length of a rod can be calculated using various equations and formulas, depending on its material and dimensions. One common equation used is Hooke's Law, which states that stress is directly proportional to strain (change in length divided by original length) and the material's modulus of elasticity. Other factors such as temperature and external forces may also need to be taken into account for more accurate calculations.