Maximum tensile stress on rod with eccentric rotating tensile load

In summary, the question involves calculating the maximum tensile stress in a rod attached to a rotating rotor. The rod has a diameter of 20 mm, a length of 500 mm, and is fixed to the ceiling on one end. The rotor has a mass of 50 kg and is rotating at 600 rpm with its center of gravity 10 mm away from the shaft axis. By considering the eccentric tensile load and the centrifugal force acting on the rod, the maximum tensile stress is calculated to be approximately 400pi N/mm^2. The length of the rod and the speed of the rotor are taken into account in the calculation.
biplab93
I was solving this paper, but got stuck on this question, and it's been bugging me endlessly. I don't know what I'm missing. Here's the question:

A rod of 20 dia is fixed to the ceiling of a roof on one end. A rotor of 50 kg mass is attached to the free end with bearings. The CG of the rotor is 10 mm away from the shaft axis. The rotor is rotating at 600 rpm. The max tensile stress (in N/Sq.mm) in the rod is nearly equal to

A. pi/2
B. 200pi
C. 300pi
D. 400pi (correct answer)

a+rod.png

Because of the bearings, there will be no torsional load on the rod (right?). That only leaves out the eccentric tensile load. So I converted that into an axial tensile load and a bending moment (50g*10 Nmm), and the resulting bending stress is: 1.6 (axial) + 6.3 (bending) N/mm^2 = 7.9. (Bending stress = M*y/I. y=max distance from neutral axis)

That's a far cry from 400pi. I don't know how the length of the rod (500mm) or the speed of the rotor (600rpm) will be incorporated, or if they will be needed at all.

Help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Because of the bearings, there will be no torsional load on the rod (right?).
Right.

That only leaves out the eccentric tensile load.
No ...

I don't know how the length of the rod (500mm) or the speed of the rotor (600rpm) will be incorporated, or if they will be needed at all.
The CG of the rotor is moving in a circle radius 10mm at 600 RPM. What force is acting on the rotor to make it do that? How is that force transmitted through the rod?

I was able to get the answer, however, I am not totally convinced. It's like:

We know tensile stress would be σ= 32 M / Πd^3

Now bending moment M will be due to the eccentric loading as well as due to the centrifugal force acting on the rod as a result of rotor's CG rotation.

So, M= m.g.e + m. ω^2. e.L
=(50 X 10 X 10 ) + {50 X(600X2Π/60)^2 X10X 0.500}
=5000 + 100000Π^2
As 100000Π^2>> 5000,
5000 seems to be ignored (for simplifying calculation)

∴ σ=32X 100000Π^2/(Πx20^3)
=400Π

What is the definition of maximum tensile stress?

The maximum tensile stress is the highest amount of stress that a material can withstand before it breaks or fractures under a tensile load.

How is maximum tensile stress calculated?

Maximum tensile stress is calculated by dividing the applied load by the cross-sectional area of the material. This value is typically expressed in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch.

What is the significance of an eccentric rotating tensile load?

An eccentric rotating tensile load is one that is applied off-center to a rod or other structural component. This type of load can create bending stresses in addition to tensile stresses, which can impact the overall strength and stability of the material.

How does the maximum tensile stress on a rod with an eccentric rotating load differ from a centrally applied load?

When a load is applied eccentrically, the maximum tensile stress will be higher than if the load were applied centrally. This is because the bending stresses caused by the eccentric load add to the tensile stresses, resulting in a higher overall stress on the material.

What factors can affect the maximum tensile stress on a rod with an eccentric rotating load?

The maximum tensile stress on a rod with an eccentric rotating load can be affected by various factors such as the magnitude and direction of the load, the material properties of the rod, and the geometry and dimensions of the rod. Other factors such as temperature, corrosion, and fatigue can also impact the maximum tensile stress.