Calculating Work Done on a Hanging Chain Using Mass Density and Length

In summary: Since the chain is hanging 1m from the vertical axis and at this point, the force drops it, I can ignore the 1 meter and just think of the 2m left on the scaffold as falling vertically.I know that chain is stretched, so I can use the Force of Spring equation. F=kX, where k=18N/m. I assume K is the linear weight density because it is in the units of the K in the equation.This step I am unsure of, I know I can do Centroid of Mass and go from there, however the Centroid of Mass is explained further in the book. I am trying to do this problem with solely the information in the
MidgetDwarf
A 3.0m long steel chain is stretched out along the top level of a horizontal scaffold at a construction site, in such a way that 2.0 m of the chain remains on the top level and 1.0m hangs down vertically. At this point ( the 1.0m segment that is hanging) is sufficient to pull the entire change down. How much work is preformed on the chain by the force of gravity as the chain falls from the point where 2.0m remains on the scaffold to the point where the entire chain has left the floor?

Assume that the chain has linear weight density 18N/m.

My attempt.

I'm not sure if my method was correct but i got the answer.

Since i know the chain is hanging 1m from the vertical axis and at this point, the force drops it. I can ignore the 1 meter and just think of the 2m left on the scaffold as falling vertically.

I know that chain is stretched, so I can use Force of Spring equation.

Fs=kX, where k=18N/m. I assume K is the linear weight density because it is in the units of the K in the formula.

This step i am unsure of, I know I can do Centroid of Mass and go from there, however the Centroid of Mass is explained further in the book. I am trying to do this problem with solely the information in the Introduction to Work Problem.

I take the integral from 0 to 2, of kX. When i integrate i get W= 0.5k*4.
Therefore W=72J which is the answer.

Is the thinking correct? Or do I have to use mgh?

Physics news on Phys.org
MidgetDwarf said:
A 3.0m long steel chain is stretched out along the top level of a horizontal scaffold at a construction site, in such a way that 2.0 m of the chain remains on the top level and 1.0m hangs down vertically. At this point ( the 1.0m segment that is hanging) is sufficient to pull the entire change down. How much work is preformed on the chain by the force of gravity as the chain falls from the point where 2.0m remains on the scaffold to the point where the entire chain has left the floor?

Assume that the chain has linear weight density 18N/m.

My attempt.

I'm not sure if my method was correct but i got the answer.

Since i know the chain is hanging 1m from the vertical axis and at this point, the force drops it. I can ignore the 1 meter and just think of the 2m left on the scaffold as falling vertically.

I know that chain is stretched, so I can use Force of Spring equation.

Fs=kX, where k=18N/m. I assume K is the linear weight density because it is in the units of the K in the formula.

This step i am unsure of, I know I can do Centroid of Mass and go from there, however the Centroid of Mass is explained further in the book. I am trying to do this problem with solely the information in the Introduction to Work Problem.

I take the integral from 0 to 2, of kX. When i integrate i get W= 0.5k*4.
Therefore W=72J which is the answer.

Is the thinking correct? Or do I have to use mgh?

Not sure,why you are treating the chain like a spring .

You need to work with the Center of Mass .

Vibhor said:
Not sure,why you are treating the chain like a spring .

You need to work with the Center of Mass .

I am trying to avoid the center of mass, since the center of mass is shown 3 chapter later an I'm trying to solve this problem without using it, only stuff in the introduction to Work.

I'm thinking that letting Z=weight density. So the force of gravity will be denoted by F=zY. Then integrating from [0,2] ( I can do 1 to 3 but its the same).

I think this is now viable.

MidgetDwarf said:
I am trying to avoid the center of mass, since the center of mass is shown 3 chapter later an I'm trying to solve this problem without using it, only stuff in the introduction to Work.

Ok.

Consider the hanging part of the chain and an element 'dx' at a distance 'x' from the top .Find the work done on this elemental part by force of gravity . Integrate under proper limits .You will get the answer :smile:.

Please work with symbols so that your work is easy to understand. You can treat λ as mass density and 'L' as length of the chain.

1. What is a mechanics work problem?

A mechanics work problem involves calculating the amount of work done on an object by a force, taking into consideration the distance the object moves, the direction of the force, and the angle between the force and the direction of movement.

2. How do you calculate work in a mechanics work problem?

Work is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force applied to the object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The formula for work is W = F * d * cos(theta), where F is the force, d is the distance, and theta is the angle between the force and the direction of movement.

3. What is the unit of measurement for work in a mechanics work problem?

The unit of measurement for work is joules (J). This is equivalent to the unit of measurement for energy, as work is a transfer of energy.

4. How does the angle between the force and direction of movement affect work in a mechanics work problem?

The angle between the force and direction of movement affects work by determining the amount of force that is actually applied in the direction of movement. If the force is applied at an angle, the component of the force in the direction of movement is what is used to calculate work.

5. How is the concept of work used in real life applications?

The concept of work is used in many real life applications, such as calculating the force needed to move objects, determining the power output of engines, and designing machines that minimize the amount of work required to complete a task. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics to solve practical problems and improve efficiency.