Mechanism for Alcubierre engine?

In summary: The weak energy condition is the one that is most likely to be approximately universally valid, but it is also the one that is so weak that it is almost useless for anything except getting some initial results. The strong energy condition is the one that is most likely to be exactly universally valid, but it is also the one that is so strong that it is almost never applicable to anything of physical interest. The null energy condition is the most interesting one that is still both plausibly valid and strong enough to be of some use.In summary, the Alcubierre engine is a theoretical concept that proposes the use of negative energy densities to create a warp in space-time, allowing for faster-than-light travel.
jerich1000
The theorized Alcubierre engine is purported to be capable of transporting a ship faster than the speed of light.

I'm aware of the theory's problems associated with how much energy would be required to operate such an engine. This isn't my question.

Apparently gravity waves, waves in the Quantum field (ZPF), and perhaps even waves in dark energy all travel at c.

If all of the above is true, then what is the medium that allows the Alcubrierre engine to operate superluminally even if the energy problem were resolved?

I realize that dark energy is expanded behind the ship and compressed in front of the ship. But, what good does that do if waves of dark energy travel at c?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The drive isn't making a wave which then propagates in spacetime, it is causing spacetime to expand/contract which causes movement. Since this movement isn't caused by a propagation through spacetime then it wouldn't have to move at c. At least that's the way I see it. In any case this is a questionable subject to be talking about on PF and probably violates several of the rules, so I would be careful.

Alcubierre's engine is a hypothetical warping of local space-time around the ship so that the light cones are tilted in such a way as to allow the ship to move at less than light-speed locally, but traverse extremely large distances in a very short time. It requires some sort of "negative energy density" which isn't physical as far as we know. (In GR, energy density actually is not arbitrary like usual, but has a 0 point).

Thanks Drakkith and Matterwave.

Aren't gravity waves, which sensors on Earth receive routinely, at different frequencies,

(see for example: http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1003/1003.3899.pdf)

are they not ripples in gravity created by varying cosmic events? How are they different than the basic idea of an Alcubierre engine?

Is it because ordinary gravity waves are so small that they travel at c, whereas an Alcubierre engine creates much larger waves, and the larger the wave, the faster the velocity? This makes intuitive sense to me. (This is where you're supposed to say, 'yes') :)

Fundamentally, speeds greater than c are only prohibited locally in relativity, not globally. GR doesn't even have a uniquely defined way of describing the velocity of one object relative to a second, distant object.

jerich1000 said:
Is it because ordinary gravity waves are so small that they travel at c, whereas an Alcubierre engine creates much larger waves, and the larger the wave, the faster the velocity? This makes intuitive sense to me. (This is where you're supposed to say, 'yes') :)

No, actually it's the other way around. Low-amplitude gravitational waves propagate at c. High-amplitude gravitational waves need *not* propagate at c. For example, GR predicts that a gravitational-wave pulse propagating on a background of curved spacetime develops a trailing edge that propagates at less than c.[MTW, p. 957] This effect is weak when the amplitude is small or the wavelength is short compared to the scale of the background curvature.

MTW - Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler, Gravitation

Drakkith said:
In any case this is a questionable subject to be talking about on PF and probably violates several of the rules, so I would be careful.

I don't think it violates any rules. The original paper was published in a peer-reviewed journal:
Alcubierre, Miguel (1994). "The warp drive: hyper-fast travel within general relativity". Classical and Quantum Gravity 11 (5): L73–L77. arXiv:gr-qc/0009013. Bibcode 1994CQGra..11L..73A. doi:10.1088/0264-9381/11/5/001.

However, I hear that past attempts to discuss it on this forum have resulted in lots of low-quality discussion. I would suggest that anyone posting in this thread try to post only information that they are sure is correct, not speculation based on partial understanding of this topic or of GR in general.

The WP article is very detailed and has a ton of references to the peer-reviewed literature: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

The Warp Drive doesn't violate GR, it requires negative energy density but that's not a law of GR.

There are the so called energy conditions, weak, strong and null and I think that only the weak energy condition forbids negative energy density, this conditions are not part of general relativity and they aren't even physical laws, they are simply assumptions on how matter and energy should behave.

Time Suspect said:
The Warp Drive doesn't violate GR, it requires negative energy density but that's not a law of GR.

There are the so called energy conditions, weak, strong and null and I think that only the weak energy condition forbids negative energy density, this conditions are not part of general relativity and they aren't even physical laws, they are simply assumptions on how matter and energy should behave.

Nonetheless, currently, we don't know of any situation in which negative energy densities arise.

@OP: The Alcubierre drive is not creating some kind of "gravity wave" in space-time. The idea is to create a local curving of space-time so as to tilt the local light cones. I'm not sure why gravity waves traveling at "c" is important to this discussion.

Well Kip. Thorne and S.Hawking believe that the Kasimir effect is a case of negative energy density but nevertheless the point was that negative energy densities have nothing incompatible with GR, GR has nothing to say about the sign of energy densities, that's why people invented the energy conditions which are independent of Einstein equations and therefore the Warp Drive is completely consistent with the Einstein Equations, it is not consistent with the weak energy condition but that is another statement.

This point is very important, say also for those that don't know this, the Einstein Equations are completely time reversible, even though there isn't a known case of time travel. Time travel is consistent with the Einstein Equations.

Matterwave said:
Nonetheless, currently, we don't know of any situation in which negative energy densities arise.

Actually that's not true. Here's a nice paper on that: Twilight for the energy conditions?, Barcelo and Visser, http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0205066

Basically there is no energy condition that is both strong enough to be interesting and universally valid. Some of them, however, are strong enough to be interesting and valid in various interesting contexts.

Time Suspect said:
Well Kip. Thorne and S.Hawking believe that the Kasimir effect is a case of negative energy density but nevertheless the point was that negative energy densities have nothing incompatible with GR, GR has nothing to say about the sign of energy densities, that's why people invented the energy conditions which are independent of Einstein equations and therefore the Warp Drive is completely consistent with the Einstein Equations, it is not consistent with the weak energy condition but that is another statement.

This point is very important, say also for those that don't know this, the Einstein Equations are completely time reversible, even though there isn't a known case of time travel. Time travel is consistent with the Einstein Equations.

I think there's a conjecture that says all closed time-like loops would require also some sort of negative energy density or some such so that "time travel" in the sense of going back to your own past is "not possible" according to this conjecture (just a conjecture).

@bcrowell: I'll take a look at that paper when I have time. Perhaps you can tell me quickly if they actually propose any situation in which negative energies occur and what those situations are?

Matterwave said:
@bcrowell: I'll take a look at that paper when I have time. Perhaps you can tell me quickly if they actually propose any situation in which negative energies occur and what those situations are?

Page 2 of the paper (p. 4 of the PDF) gives a pretty good quick rundown.

Lobo has written a review article, Exotic solutions in General Relativity: Traversable wormholes and 'warp drive' spacetimes, on some of this stuff.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0710.4474

1. What is the Alcubierre engine?

The Alcubierre engine is a theoretical concept proposed by physicist Miguel Alcubierre in 1994. It is a hypothetical method of faster-than-light travel that would allow a spacecraft to travel through space by expanding and contracting the fabric of space-time around it.

2. How does the Alcubierre engine work?

The Alcubierre engine would work by creating a bubble of space-time around the spacecraft, causing it to contract in front and expand behind. This would allow the spacecraft to move through space at speeds greater than the speed of light, without violating the laws of physics.

3. What is the mechanism for the Alcubierre engine?

The mechanism for the Alcubierre engine is based on the theory of general relativity and the concept of negative energy. By creating a bubble of negative energy around the spacecraft, it would be able to manipulate the fabric of space-time and achieve faster-than-light travel.

4. Is the Alcubierre engine possible?

Currently, the Alcubierre engine is only a theoretical concept and has not been proven to be possible. While the mathematics behind it are sound, the technology and resources needed to create such an engine are beyond our current capabilities.

5. What are the potential implications of the Alcubierre engine?

If the Alcubierre engine were to become a reality, it would revolutionize space travel and open up the possibility of exploring distant galaxies and even other universes. However, there are also potential dangers, such as the creation of a large amount of radiation and the possibility of disrupting the fabric of space-time.