Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanisms for waking you up

1. May 29, 2012 #1
    Photons hit our eyes or bodies which activate a certain hormone which causes us to wake up. Does anyone know if the photons have to hit your eye or your body?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2012 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

4. May 29, 2012 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not that I am aware of. There was a time that anti-jetlag devices were sold that were placed in the knee pit, but I'd be interested to know whether they really work. A clue comes from people who are blind, the publications I have seen report that they have free-running circadian periods.

5. May 29, 2012 #4
    About blind people, I mean photons hitting your closed eyelids

6. May 30, 2012 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you mean? Light still penetrates the eye when the eyelids are closed.

7. May 30, 2012 #6
    Blind people have eyes, they just don't work, unless they've been gouged out which is very rare. So what point are you trying to make then with blind people?

8. May 31, 2012 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Think for one second. Your question was: "Does anyone know if the photons have to hit your eye or your body?".

If blind people have problems waking up, do you think their body is important or their eyes? Also, do you think it is having eyes that is important or having visually functional eyes?

9. May 31, 2012 #8
    Here's what I originally read, I decided to track it down. This comes from the Harvard Medical Guide to Sleep

Somehow the first part of the sentence got cut off, so I'll have to look at the original book to see what got cut off but that's at home.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook