1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechatronics vs regular mechanical engineering

1. Mar 25, 2010 #1
    Hey, I'm in second year of engineering, and have to pick my courses for third year.

I have the option of going into mechatronics or stick to regular mechanical engineering.I don't know what i should do. I heard mechatronics has a lot to do with controls system. I want to invent my own things one day, and I don't know if the mechatronics option will allow me to do that. If i do decide to go into mechatronics, it will say that on my transcript.

What should i do? Any advice would be helpful

thanks

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2010 #2
    If one is ABET accredited and one isn't, I'd go with the ABET. Mechanical is probably much more widely recognized and applicable. I don't think either choice will hurt your ability to invent things in the future.

As usual, it depends :smile:. Good luck.

4. Mar 25, 2010 #3
    I'd say go mechatronics.

I graduated with a B.Mech.Eng. and I've been working in flight simulation for 11 years. I sure wish I had more software, electronics and practical control theory in my background.

Almost anything you work on as a mechanical engineer will have wires connected to it.

5. Jun 12, 2012 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook