1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Median geometric distribution

1. Mar 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How do you find the median of the geometric distribution?

2. Relevant equations
    M is median if P(X>=M) >= 1/2 and P(X<=M)>=1/2.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have found this inequality using the geometric series:
    (m-1)*log(1-p) >= 1/2

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2012 #2
    anyone??

4. Mar 11, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Show your work; your answer is wrong, but until I see what you did I cannot see how to help you fix it.

RGV

5. Mar 11, 2012 #4
    P(X>=M) =[tex] \sum_{k=M}^{\infty}p(1-p)^{k-1} = p(1-p)^{M-1}\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}(1-p)^k = (1-p)^{M-1}[/tex]

Now I set:

[tex] (1-p)^{M-1} >= 1/2 \implies (M-1)log(1-p) >= log(1/2) \implies M >= log(1/2)/log(1-p)+1[/tex]

Now for the other part:
    P(X<=M) = 1-P(X>M) =
    [tex]1-\sum_{k=M+1}^{\infty}p(1-p)^{k-1} = 1-(1-p)^M[/tex]

Now I set:

[tex] 1-(1-p)^{M} >= 1/2 \implies (M)log(1-p) <= log(1/2) \implies M <= log(1/2)/log(1-p)[/tex]

Is this correct and how do I combine these solutions?

6. Mar 12, 2012 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have the >= and <= backwards: you need P{X >= M} <= 1/2, etc. The way I would do it is to find a continuous solution of (1-p)^(m-1) = 1/2, then take M = ceiling(m), where ceiling(w) = smallest integer >= w.

RGV

7. Mar 12, 2012 #6
    Actually it is P(X>=M) >= 1/2 and P(X<=M) >= 1/2. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median.

8. Mar 12, 2012 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If that is what the article says, it is wrong. I suggest you look in a real book.

RGV

9. Mar 12, 2012 #8
    It also says here in my book, however, the way you described it seems to lead to the right answer...

10. Mar 12, 2012 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Fix typos
    Actually, My statement may have been a bit harsh: saying "not useful" rather than "wrong" may have been better.

The point is that there is a bit of an issue defining the "median" for some discrete cases, and some sources regard entire intervals [a,b] as the median when F(a) = 1/2 (and b > a is the next point in the distribution). Other sources define the median as the solution of the optimization problem min_m E|X-m|; that would lead to a median interval in some cases. I think it is better to deal with strict inequalities: the interval [Mmin,Mmax] (Mmin <= Mmax) is a median interval if P{X < Mmin} < 1/2 and P{X > Mmax } < 1/2. Of course, if Mmin=Mmax= M we have P{X>M} < 1/2 and P{X<M} <1/2. Some books and papers would say that we must pick a particular point, so would reject the median-interval notion, but would choose a point M in [Mmin,Mmax] in some way. If you do that , it would be false to say P{X<M}<1/2 and P{X>M} < 1/2.

Anyway, the method I gave is OK as long as the median interval shrinks to a single point; if you look at the graph of the cdf you can even see why it works: at the median M we have F(M) < 1/2 and F(M+1) > 1/2. If you imagine drawing the graph y = F(x), but with vertical line segments inserted at the jump points, then the solution of the equation 1/2 = F(x) is at the point M where the vertical segment from F(M) to F(M+1) cuts the value 1/2; that is, it is at the point M where F(M) < 1/2 and F(M+1) > 1/2. You would get this same value by joining up the points (j,F(j)) by a smooth curve y = H(x) (with H(j) = F(j) for all j) and then rounding up the solution x of 1/2 = H(x).

RGV

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook