1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Medical Physics education length

1. Mar 23, 2009 #1
    Roughly how long does it take to become a medical physicist? I'm currently a third-year nuclear engineering student looking at medical physics, and I'm realizing it's a much different setup than in engineering. Is a residency required? I mean a masters would take like 1.5-2 years, which is cool, but a residency on top of that? How is the pay during residencies?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

4. Mar 24, 2009 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm a medical physics resident.

To get into medical physics requires at least a master's degree. 1.5 years is very optimistic in my opinion. Realistically you're looking at 2-3 years for that. (There's a lot of course-work in medical physics). It's prefereable in my opinion to do a Ph.D., since it makes you more marketable when it comes time to look for a job and puts you in a better position to do research.

Residencies aren't absolutely necessary to get work, but the clinical aspects of medical physics are tough to just "pick up" and so a formal set of rotations is very helpful in establishing your clinical skills for the rest of your career. Further, a residency makes you more competative for the better jobs and gives you a good foundation for writing your board exams.

The pay for residents, from what I remember from recent salary surveys is ~ $40-50k (USD) ballpark, but it varies from place to place and juniour physicists (those with less than 2 years experience) can make substantially more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook