Exploring Career Options in Medical Physics (for Master's Program Admits)

In summary: Over time, as you gain experience and work your way up in your career, the salary can increase significantly. Unfortunately, it's difficult to give a specific figure as it will vary so much depending on your experience and geographical location. However, if you are looking to get a starting salary in the $120,000 range, you're in the ballpark. Thanks for the question!
planethunter
Hello everyone, I recently was admitted into a Master’s program in Applied Physics here in California and am interested in knowing more about what Medical Physics is as far as a career route for me.

I am starting the program this spring’11 semester.

Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
planethunter said:
Hello everyone, I recently was admitted into a Master’s program in Applied Physics here in California and am interested in knowing more about what Medical Physics is as far as a career route for me.

I am starting the program this spring’11 semester.

Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What, more specifically, do you want to know? An entry detailing everything about medical physics would obviously be a bit too big :P

You could start looking at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_physics

then there are lots of old threads on what things are like as a medical physicist here if you search.

Thanks for the response! I want to know if I can get into a medical physics career with a masters in applied physics instead of a masters in medical physics.

How rewarding is medical physics in comparison to say a doctor or teacher?

How much do medical physicists make?

It would be very difficult to get into medical physics with only a masters in applied physics. Most places will be looking for someone with a CAMPEP-accredited degree and the good jobs tend to be very competative. That being said, if you completed the master's degree and then jumped into a medical physics PhD you would be a lot more competative.

I find the profession extremely rewarding. I have the opportunity to make a significant contribution to the world, I have opportunities for some really interesting research, and I generally enjoy the work. On the down side, the hours are long and often you don't know when you will have to work overtime, the field can be very competative, and you carry a lot of responsibility (and of course it becomes stressful when this is not balanced out with authority).

If you're interested, join the AAPM as a student member and you will have access to the most recent salary survey data.

Choppy, thank you so much for the information! What is I obtained a masters in applied physics, and took various additional courses, ie. in the biological sciences, that would give me that extra knowledge? Would this make me more competitive? I am not sure if I would go for the PhD since at this point in my life it might be already too much school.

I read online that the starting salary for a medical physicist is about $120k. Is this true? It seems pretty high but again it is in the medical field so I am not surprised.

The courses that are considered more or less manditory for doing clinical work these days are those given by the accredited programs: radiobiology, treatment planning, medical imaging and image processing, radiation interactions with matter, radiation protection, etc. A few extra biology courses might make you a little more competative, but remember, you'll be generally be competing against PhDs that have all the necessary course work anyway.

There was another post recently in the Medical Physics Jobs Outlook (USA) thread that contained a link to some salary survey data. Your salary, as with many other jobs will depend on a lot of factors. Most medical physicists start out as residents who don't make near that amount.

1. What is medical physics?

Medical physics is a field that involves the application of physics to medicine. It focuses on the use of radiation and other technologies to diagnose and treat diseases, as well as the development of new medical technologies and techniques.

2. What are the career options for someone with a master's degree in medical physics?

There are various career options for someone with a master's degree in medical physics. These include working in a hospital or medical center as a medical physicist, conducting research in a university or government lab, or working in the industry to develop new medical technologies.

3. What skills are needed for a career in medical physics?

Some key skills that are needed for a career in medical physics include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, a solid understanding of physics and mathematics, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team. Good communication and interpersonal skills are also important, as medical physicists often work closely with other healthcare professionals.

4. What are the educational requirements for a master's program in medical physics?

The educational requirements for a master's program in medical physics may vary depending on the institution, but most programs require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in physics, engineering, or a related field. Some programs may also require specific undergraduate coursework in biology, chemistry, or mathematics.

5. What are the job prospects and salary potential for someone with a master's degree in medical physics?

The job prospects for medical physicists are generally favorable, with the field projected to grow in the coming years. According to the American Association of Physicists in Medicine, the median salary for medical physicists with a master's degree is around $130,000 per year. However, salaries can vary depending on factors such as location, experience, and specific job responsibilities.