"Members of a frame are axially inextensible" implication?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of axial inextensibility in frames. It is explained that in frames with vertical legs, the length of the chord joining the member ends in the displaced condition remains the same in the axial direction. However, it is questioned what this implies for frames with inclined legs. The expert summarizer concludes that this concept essentially means no axial deformation and it is often used as a simplified model to explain more complex mechanics topics.
Ashu2912
In analysis of frames, we say that "The members of the frames are axially inextensible". In context of frames with vertical legs, what I understand is that the length of the chord joining the member ends in the displaced condition would be same in the axial direction. However, what does it imply in frames with inclined legs?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ashu2912 said:
In analysis of frames, we say that "The members of the frames are axially inextensible". In context of frames with vertical legs, what I understand is that the length of the chord joining the member ends in the displaced condition would be same in the axial direction. However, what does it imply in frames with inclined legs?
Same thing. The distance between the ends doesn't change.

Chet

This is a diagram I found in "Structural Analysis" by Aslam Kassimalli. Here, if the member AC is inextensible, shouldn't the point c`in the deflected frame lie on the line CD in the original frame?

Attachments

• pf frame doubt.png
    pf frame doubt.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 956
Ashu2912 said:
This is a diagram I found in "Structural Analysis" by Aslam Kassimalli. Here, if the member AC is inextensible, shouldn't the point c`in the deflected frame lie on the line CD in the original frame?
I don't think so. I think that all that is required for AC to be inextensible is that the cumulative length along the line AC be the same as in the original frame.

Chet

Ashu2912 said:
" The members of the frames are axially inextensible". does that mean no axial deformation? Doesnt seem to be right..

lingesh said:
" The members of the frames are axially inextensible". does that mean no axial deformation? Doesnt seem to be right..
Pretty much.

All you've provided is a diagram. Is it being used in your text to help explain a certain mechanics topic, by chance?

Often, in explaining a certain point of mechanics or whatever, a simplified model is used initially to explain the concept. Once enough concepts are understood by the student, more complex (and more realistic) models can be analyzed and discussed in more complete detail.

1. What does it mean for members of a frame to be axially inextensible?

Axially inextensible members of a frame are those that do not experience any changes in length when subjected to axial forces, meaning forces applied along the length of the member. This is also referred to as "constant length" or "no change in length."

2. How does the property of axial inextensibility affect the behavior of a frame?

The property of axial inextensibility has a significant impact on the behavior of a frame. It allows for accurate predictions of the frame's response to loads and ensures that the frame remains stable and does not experience any significant deformations or displacements.

3. Is axial inextensibility a necessary assumption in frame analysis?

Yes, axial inextensibility is a common assumption made in frame analysis and is necessary for accurately predicting the behavior of a frame. However, in real-world structures, there may be some degree of axial elongation or contraction in members due to factors such as temperature changes or material properties.

4. Can members of a frame ever be considered completely axially inextensible?

In theory, yes, members of a frame can be considered completely axially inextensible. However, in practice, it is not possible to achieve perfect axial inextensibility due to factors such as material properties, joint stiffness, and other external forces acting on the frame.

5. What are some limitations of assuming axial inextensibility in frame analysis?

One limitation of assuming axial inextensibility is that it does not account for any changes in length due to temperature changes or external loads. Additionally, it may not accurately represent the behavior of real-world structures that may experience some degree of axial elongation or contraction. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the assumptions made in frame analysis and their potential impact on the accuracy of results.