Maximizing Studying Efficiency: Memorizing Formulas for Calculus Success

• Thread starter JonDE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulas
In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is necessary or a waste of time to memorize a list of 29 categories of formulas for a calculus final. The speaker suggests that some formulas are important to memorize while others can be derived. They also mention that the trigonometric formulas and equations for finding the nth term or sum of sequences are important to know. It is also noted that the power reducing formula may be messy and can be derived through integration by parts. The speaker also shares their experience with the "latus rectum" formula and its relation to parabolas. Ultimately, it is mentioned that the important formulas will become familiar through practice and homework problems in calculus.
JonDE
I wasn't sure where to put this question, so if a Mod wants to move this to a place where it would fit better/get more responses I would appreciate it.

I'm about to finish pre-cal and take calculus during the fall. For my final we are allowed a half page of formulas. On it I have written down 29 categories of formulas with between 1-6 in each category. My question is, should I spend the summer memorizing each and every one of these formulas? Is it necessary or more of a waste of time? Are there some that are far more important that I should have memorized? etc...

Physics news on Phys.org
Some formulas are so important that you need to memorize this. The good news is, for the most part, the ones that are that important are the ones that you use the most, and so by using them often, you'll end up memorizing them inadvertently anyway.

It just depends on the formula.

JonDE said:
I wasn't sure where to put this question, so if a Mod wants to move this to a place where it would fit better/get more responses I would appreciate it.

I'm about to finish pre-cal and take calculus during the fall. For my final we are allowed a half page of formulas. On it I have written down 29 categories of formulas with between 1-6 in each category. My question is, should I spend the summer memorizing each and every one of these formulas? Is it necessary or more of a waste of time? Are there some that are far more important that I should have memorized? etc...

Can you post a copy of your crib sheet? That would make it easier to give you suggestions on which ones (and which categories) you should consider memorizing. :smile:

berkeman said:
Can you post a copy of your crib sheet? That would make it easier to give you suggestions on which ones (and which categories) you should consider memorizing. :smile:
I'll just list the "cateogies" (you don't want to try and read my writing).
Sum and difference formulas for sin cos and tan.
Double angle formulas. sin2θ =..., half angle formulas, power reducing formulas.
Product to sum, and sum to product formulas. eg sinAsinB=...
Law of Sine and Cosines
Area of Oblique triangle A=1/2bcSinA etc..., heron's formula
Polar to rectangular, rectangular to polar, product and quotient of polar form, de moivres formula
Angle between vectors, finding magnitude, vectors in rectangular form
Finding foci of ellipse, hyperbolas, parabolas and lotus rectum
equations for finding nth term or sum of arithmetic and geometric sequences

JonDE said:
Double angle formulas. sin2θ =..., half angle formulas, power reducing formulas.
Law of Sine and Cosines
Polar to rectangular, rectangular to polar, product and quotient of polar form, de moivres formula

You must be grateful to be allowed that list during your tests. You should not need to list Law of Sines or Law of Cosines; those should be well memorized.

"Lotus rectum"?

JonDE said:

I don't know this by heart, but I can derive them if I wanted to.

Double angle formulas. sin2θ =...,

I know this one by heart

half angle formulas, power reducing formulas.

Don't know these by heart, but I can find them.

Law of Sine and Cosines
Area of Oblique triangle A=1/2bcSinA etc...,

I know these.

heron's formula

Don't know this, but I can derive them.

I know this one.

Don't know this one. Not sure if I would be able to derive it easily either.

I know this by heart.

JonDE said:
Law of Sine and Cosines

Power reducing formula isn't that a calculus one? I remember it being messy but it was the same as just integration by parts repeated.

The trig ones are important to know but you should be able to derive most of them. You will be reminded of them when you go over them for calculus and will know which are important as you do homework problems.

symbolipoint said:
You must be grateful to be allowed that list during your tests. You should not need to list Law of Sines or Law of Cosines; those should be well memorized.
"Lotus rectum"?
Thanks for your input, and while I am grateful that I am allowed these lists as is helps my grade, at the same time, I didn't want to be unprepared for calculus.
Also apparently that was supposed to be Latus rectum (which goes back to my previous post about my bad handwriting), anyways from what I remember its a line that is parallel to the directerix, that runs through the foci to the end points of the parabola. I believe the end points should also be an equal distance from the foci and from the directerix. When using the equation y2=4px the length should be equal to 4p.
micromass said:
I don't know this by heart, but I can derive them if I wanted to.
I know this one by heart
Don't know these by heart, but I can find them.
I know these.
Don't know this, but I can derive them.
I know this one.
Don't know this one. Not sure if I would be able to derive it easily either.
I know this by heart.
Thanks Micromass, this is pretty much exactly what I was looking for, I will make sure I know or be able to derive everything you have suggested before I take calculus.
Loststudent22 said:
Power reducing formula isn't that a calculus one? I remember it being messy but it was the same as just integration by parts repeated.

The trig ones are important to know but you should be able to derive most of them. You will be reminded of them when you go over them for calculus and will know which are important as you do homework problems.
Not sure if the power reducing formula is a calculus one or not as I have not taken it yet. :smile:

Anyways, thanks everyone for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

JonDE said:

Best way that I've found to memorize formulas is learning how to derive them.

Regarding multiples of angles in sine and cosine, I usually use the Euler identity.
It's a 30 second "derivation" which contains a lot of information.

What is the best way to memorize formulas for calculus?

The best way to memorize formulas for calculus is through repetition and practice. Create flashcards or write out the formulas multiple times to help reinforce them in your memory. It is also helpful to understand the logic and reasoning behind the formulas, rather than just rote memorization.

How can I stay focused and efficient while studying calculus formulas?

To stay focused and efficient while studying calculus formulas, it is important to eliminate distractions and create a conducive study environment. Take short breaks every 25-30 minutes to avoid burnout and maintain concentration. Also, try to study at a time when you are most alert and motivated.

Is it better to memorize formulas or understand the concepts in calculus?

It is important to have a balance of both memorization and understanding in calculus. While memorizing formulas can be helpful for quick recall during exams, understanding the concepts behind the formulas will allow you to apply them to different problems and think critically.

How can I effectively review and retain the formulas for calculus?

One effective way to review and retain formulas for calculus is to practice solving problems that require the use of those formulas. This will not only help reinforce the formulas in your memory, but also improve your problem-solving skills. You can also create a cheat sheet or summary of the formulas to review regularly.

Are there any mnemonic devices or tricks to help memorize calculus formulas?

Yes, there are several mnemonic devices and tricks that can help with memorizing calculus formulas. For example, creating acronyms or visualizing the formula in a memorable way. You can also try breaking down the formula into smaller parts and creating a story or association to remember them. Experiment with different methods to see what works best for you.