Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mensa IQ Test

1. Jun 14, 2018 #1
    Recently I checked my IQ at Mensa iq test and got an IQ score of 128.
    Is there anything special about it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2018 #2
  4. Jun 14, 2018 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Special about the test or results?

You measure above average in a test that measures intelligence in a certain way.

That's a fact. I'm not sure the word "special" (or not) can apply. It just is.

5. Jun 14, 2018 #4
    Well it is not high enough for Mensa. Still pretty high, probably 96th percentile or so. On a good day you could qualify. They cut off anything under 98 percentile. Top 2 percent.

6. Jun 14, 2018 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

It's an integral power of 2.

7. Jun 14, 2018 #6

Mark44

In the words of Groucho Marx:

8. Jun 14, 2018 #7
    Hahaha yes it is.....

9. Jun 14, 2018 #8
    Special means in the sense that is that score of IQ good or something above average.. that's what I asked :)

10. Jun 14, 2018 #9
    Powerful quote... Well who is groucho Marx I need to see

11. Jun 14, 2018 #10
    It depends on what you mean by 'a test' really.
    Some legitimate complaints exist about bias.
    Bias in the sense of that the not very good tests are just measures of a person's conformity with a belief,
    Scientology is a famous case of this kind of outright bias.

12. Jun 14, 2018 #11

jtbell

:wideeyed:

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Groucho_Marx

See also quotes and dialogue from some of his movies, e.g. Duck Soup.

Aha, here's another one that fits this thread:

13. Jun 14, 2018 #12

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

What does that mean? Does it mean that you are intelligent or unintelligent? If yes or yes/no, then in WHAT WAY?

Now that you have this measure of your intelligence, what do you understand and know how to do, which if your IQ were 80, you would not? Also, what are you unable to understand and know how to do that you would, if your I Q were 150?

14. Jun 15, 2018 #13
    It means you are likely to be competent in certain tasks, actually many tasks. Psychology, and studies of human cognition in general, is still in it's Pre-Copernican stage, so it's of limited predictive power. But despite that, you will probably be fine in life.

15. Jun 15, 2018 #14

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Online IQ tests are not proper IQ tests. Even the Mensa one should have a disclaimer that it should be used as an indicator and that it is not a true measurement of IQ (or at least it used to). Properly administered IQ tests are done in person and whether or not they are an accurate measure of "general intelligence" is a controversial subject.

16. Jun 15, 2018 #15
    That's a bogus IQ test. I've seen it before on another forum, and people were taking all the wrong answers and still getting a good score.

17. Jun 18, 2018 #16
    :frown: ..... **feels sad**

18. Jun 18, 2018 #17
    As an autistic savant I find calling these tests "intelligence quotients" amusing.
    Yes, I score quite high.
    Every other "quality of life" measure scores me quite poorly.
    Anecdote only, real life averages are for a certain social class in a specific environment. Quite accurate when used in context.

19. Jun 18, 2018 #18
    The whole IQ thing is quite controversial in science. There are a lot of problems already discovered with the idea. Would it not measure something it would have been abolished long ago.
    But apparently a calibrated IQ test is able to measure something. It is just quite hard to nail down that something.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  20. Jun 18, 2018 #19

Wrichik Basu

Gold Member

I have heard a small story regarding the Menesa minds:
    I leave it to the reader to judge the utility of IQ tests.

21. Jun 18, 2018 #20
    :DD HAhahahaahah..... Really, I laughed hard

22. Jun 18, 2018 #21
    Unless the test was administered by a clinical professional, it should not be considered diagnostically relevant. And even if it is, its utility in determining a person's ability is questionable at best.

23. Jun 21, 2018 at 6:33 PM #22
    I was just thinking of the benefit of flattering someone and even "legitimizing" it, and then trying to sell something, like membership to a "washed out" smart peeps club.

24. Jun 22, 2018 at 4:13 PM #23

berkeman

LOL. I'm just glad that I figured out the solution about half-way through the story. :smile:

25. Jun 22, 2018 at 11:00 PM #24

OCR

Lol... are you absolutely certain in regard to the solution ? . :-p . :biggrin:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted