Mensa IQ Test

• Thread starter Prof Sabi
  • Start date
Recently I checked my IQ at Mensa iq test and got an IQ score of 128.
Is there anything special about it?

Answers and Replies

russ_watters
Mentor
Special about the test or results?

You measure above average in a test that measures intelligence in a certain way.

That's a fact. I'm not sure the word "special" (or not) can apply. It just is.

Well it is not high enough for Mensa. Still pretty high, probably 96th percentile or so. On a good day you could qualify. They cut off anything under 98 percentile. Top 2 percent.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
It's an integral power of 2.

Likes nuuskur, ConfusedMonkey, dRic2 and 3 others
In the words of Groucho Marx:
I don't want to belong to any club that would accept me as a member.

Likes bhobba
Special about the test or results?

You measure above average in a test that measures intelligence in a certain way.

That's a fact. I'm not sure the word "special" (or not) can apply. It just is.
Special means in the sense that is that score of IQ good or something above average.. that's what I asked :)

In the words of Groucho Marx:
Powerful quote... Well who is groucho Marx I need to see

It depends on what you mean by 'a test' really.
Some legitimate complaints exist about bias.
Bias in the sense of that the not very good tests are just measures of a person's conformity with a belief,
Scientology is a famous case of this kind of outright bias.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
What does that mean? Does it mean that you are intelligent or unintelligent? If yes or yes/no, then in WHAT WAY?

Now that you have this measure of your intelligence, what do you understand and know how to do, which if your IQ were 80, you would not? Also, what are you unable to understand and know how to do that you would, if your I Q were 150?

It means you are likely to be competent in certain tasks, actually many tasks. Psychology, and studies of human cognition in general, is still in it's Pre-Copernican stage, so it's of limited predictive power. But despite that, you will probably be fine in life.

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Online IQ tests are not proper IQ tests. Even the Mensa one should have a disclaimer that it should be used as an indicator and that it is not a true measurement of IQ (or at least it used to). Properly administered IQ tests are done in person and whether or not they are an accurate measure of "general intelligence" is a controversial subject.

Likes Evo and gibberingmouther
That's a bogus IQ test. I've seen it before on another forum, and people were taking all the wrong answers and still getting a good score.

That's a bogus IQ test. I've seen it before on another forum, and people were taking all the wrong answers and still getting a good score.
:frown: ..... **feels sad**

Philip Olson
As an autistic savant I find calling these tests "intelligence quotients" amusing.
Yes, I score quite high.
Every other "quality of life" measure scores me quite poorly.
Anecdote only, real life averages are for a certain social class in a specific environment. Quite accurate when used in context.

As an autistic savant I find calling these tests "intelligence quotients" amusing.
The whole IQ thing is quite controversial in science. There are a lot of problems already discovered with the idea. Would it not measure something it would have been abolished long ago.
But apparently a calibrated IQ test is able to measure something. It is just quite hard to nail down that something.

Last edited:
Wrichik Basu
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
I have heard a small story regarding the Menesa minds:
Several of the Mensa members went out for lunch at a local cafe. When they sat down, one of them discovered that their salt shaker contained pepper, and their pepper shaker was full of salt.

How could they swap the contents of the two bottles without spilling any, and using only the implements at hand? Clearly -- this was a job for Mensa minds.

The group debated the problem and presented ideas and finally, came up with a brilliant solution involving a napkin, a straw, and an empty saucer.

They then called the waitress over, ready to dazzle her with their solution.

"Ma'am," they said, "we couldn't help but notice that the pepper shaker contains salt and the salt shaker contains pepper..."

But before they could finish, the waitress interrupted and said, "Oh, sorry about that."
She leaned over the table, unscrewed the caps of both bottles and switched them.

There was dead silence at the Mensa table.
I leave it to the reader to judge the utility of IQ tests.

Likes dlgoff, diogenesNY, berkeman and 4 others
I have heard a small story regarding the Menesa minds:

:DD HAhahahaahah..... Really, I laughed hard

Unless the test was administered by a clinical professional, it should not be considered diagnostically relevant. And even if it is, its utility in determining a person's ability is questionable at best.

....and people were taking all the wrong answers and still getting a good score.
I was just thinking of the benefit of flattering someone and even "legitimizing" it, and then trying to sell something, like membership to a "washed out" smart peeps club.

berkeman
Mentor
LOL. I'm just glad that I figured out the solution about half-way through the story. :smile:

OCR
LOL. I'm just glad that I figured out the solution...
Lol... are you absolutely certain in regard to the solution ? . :-p . :biggrin:

Aufbauwerk 2045
I went to a school for so-called "gifted" kids. The minimum IQ for enrollment was 130. But I've read that Feynman scored in the 120s on his IQ test. IQ is potential intelligence. But what is important is making the most of what you have been given, in other words actual intelligence. I was in Mensa and also another so-called high IQ group. Never again. One is better off spending one's time actually doing something useful. Then people will say you are smart. We accomplish absolutely nothing by "being smart" or being in a group that strokes our egos because we scored high on some test. What is important is what we contribute to human knowledge. So we should get cracking on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Evo, StatGuy2000, Saph and 2 others