What can glue condom material to hard plastic?

In summary, BoBI recommends that one consider using a bendable material other than condoms to create an expandable box.
WilkinzMicawber
I am manufacturing a plastic cube out of six flat, hard pieces plastic, of the same consistency as water bottle plastic. The top and bottom sides of the cube will be connected to the middle 4 panels by condom rubber. I need some kind of bendable plastic that can expand so that the cube can grow larger, and my only idea thus far is condoms. Does anyone either know of an adhesive that binds condoms to hard rubber, or know of a better solution to my problem than condoms? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
JB Weld will glue anything to anything. I've also heard that Gorilla Glue is good but I've never used it.

WilkinzMicawber said:
I am manufacturing a plastic cube out of six flat, hard pieces plastic, of the same consistency as water bottle plastic. The top and bottom sides of the cube will be connected to the middle 4 panels by condom rubber. I need some kind of bendable plastic that can expand so that the cube can grow larger, and my only idea thus far is condoms. Does anyone either know of an adhesive that binds condoms to hard rubber, or know of a better solution to my problem than condoms? Any help is appreciated.
By how much does the cube expand?

One needs an elastomer that can strain to the desired range, ostensibly without failure.

http://www.dupont.com/products-and-services/plastics-polymers-resins/elastomers/articles/guide-to-elastomer-properties.html

If one uses an adhesive, then is must form a bond without being to rigid.

Last edited:
phinds said:
JB Weld will glue anything to anything. I've also heard that Gorilla Glue is good but I've never used it.
Gorilla glue (polyurethane glue) expands quite a bit as it cures - it foams up. So there is that to consider.

Gorilla glue also gets hot as it cures.

BoB

WilkinzMicawber said:
I need some kind of bendable plastic that can expand so that the cube can grow larger, and my only idea thus far is condoms.

Condom material does not expand much, and is made thin on purpose so it's not very durable. I don't think it is a material you should consider for this project.

Is this device related to your other thread? https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...project-help-appreciated.834103/#post-5237814

Can the top and bottom instead move into the cube to change its volume? They would act more like pistons, and you would then just need to figure out how best to seal the edges of the top and bottom against the inner surface of the box formed by the sides. Or could you just change to a cylindrical shape to simplify the sealing of the top and bottom against the inner surface of the cylinder?

:smile:

If this must be an expandable box you could get a balloon that is the approximate size you need. Glue flat panels to it. When expanding, if there are small failures of the adhesive you will still maintain a seal.

BoB

1. How can I glue a condom to hard plastic without it coming off?

There are several types of adhesives that can bond condom material to hard plastic, such as silicone adhesive or cyanoacrylate glue. It is important to make sure the adhesive is safe for use on skin and non-toxic, and to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper application.

2. Can I use regular glue to attach a condom to hard plastic?

No, regular glue is not recommended for bonding condom material to hard plastic. Regular glue may contain harmful chemicals that can damage the condom material and may not provide a strong enough bond.

3. What type of hard plastic is best for gluing a condom?

The type of hard plastic used will depend on the specific application. However, it is important to choose a plastic that is compatible with the adhesive being used and will not react or degrade the condom material.

4. How long does the glue need to dry before the condom is safe to use?

The drying time will vary depending on the type of adhesive used. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for the recommended drying time before using the condom. It is also recommended to perform a test run before using the condom to ensure the adhesive has fully cured and the bond is strong enough.

5. Can I reuse a condom that has been glued to hard plastic?

No, it is not recommended to reuse a condom that has been glued to hard plastic. The adhesive may not provide a strong enough bond after the initial use, and there is a risk of the condom tearing or breaking, increasing the risk of pregnancy or STIs.